Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com> on 2017/10/08 08:08:11 UTC

applemenu: applemenu-external-desktop-classes.zip Oracle dependency which is GPL w/ CPE + CDDL

Hello,

It seem that originally these files existed in the Mercurial repository:

applemenu/src/java/awt/Desktop.java
applemenu/src/java/awt/desktop/AboutEvent.java
applemenu/src/java/awt/desktop/AboutHandler.java
applemenu/src/java/awt/desktop/AppEvent.java
applemenu/src/java/awt/desktop/FilesEvent.java
applemenu/src/java/awt/desktop/OpenFilesEvent.java
applemenu/src/java/awt/desktop/OpenFilesHandler.java
applemenu/src/java/awt/desktop/PreferencesEvent.java
applemenu/src/java/awt/desktop/PreferencesHandler.java
applemenu/src/java/awt/desktop/QuitEvent.java
applemenu/src/java/awt/desktop/QuitHandler.java
applemenu/src/java/awt/desktop/QuitResponse.java
applemenu/src/java/awt/desktop/QuitStrategy.java

See, for example:
https://github.com/emilianbold/netbeans-releases/blob/master/applemenu/src/java/awt/Desktop.java

These are under the standard NetBeans GPL w/ CPE + CDDL dual license.

The files themselves are a stub with this comment:

/* This is stub code written based on java.awt package javadoc published for
> * JDK 9. It makes possible to compile code, which uses new JDK 9 features,
> * on JDK 8. The compiled stub classes should never be included in the final
> * product.
> */

It seems that for the donation Oracle decided not to donate these, but to
bundle them as an external dependency with the
name applemenu-external-desktop-classes.zip which remains with the old dual
license.

I guess Apache NetBeans could elect to use the CDDL license for those files?

In which case we need a statement about this, perhaps in the NOTICE file.

If we do choose to add the dependency with CDDL, is it really worth keeping
it elsewhere or could we add it back in the source tree like it used to be?

--emi

Re: applemenu: applemenu-external-desktop-classes.zip Oracle dependency which is GPL w/ CPE + CDDL

Posted by Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com>.
I'd like to note that both the java/awt/** (which were removed, as Emilian
pointed out) and com/apple/eawt/** (which are still in the repository) are
only compile-time dependencies. So, I'd incline to:
-sanitize the java/awt/** handling (i.e. not expand it to the sources, but
handle it as a real compile-time only dependency)
-delete the com/apple/eawt classes, and use orange-extensions[1] instead.

Should be simple and hopefully would avoid doubts about recreating stuff
from javadoc. If/when NetBeans requires JDK 9 to build&run, we can drop all
of these, and simply compile against the JDK classes.

I can look at this, unless someone else wants to.

Jan

[1] https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/com.massisframework/orange-extensions

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Yes, Jan, if that approach removes these, that would be simplest and
clearest.

So, yes, please do look at this.

Gj

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.