Posted to l10n@openoffice.apache.org by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> on 2014/07/05 10:35:28 UTC

Re: Lithuanian (LT) Website

On 28/06/2014 Aivaras Stepukonis wrote:
> You can still see the styling discrepancy by juxtaposing, say, this
> http://www.openoffice.org/why/index.html with this
> http://www.openoffice.org/product/index.html

OK, so the issue is the large space between the
"Why Apache OpenOffice" H1 heading and the
"Why should I use Apache OpenOffice?" H2 heading at
http://www.openoffice.org/why/index.html

We indeed have very large vertical whitespace around those elements. H1
has 15px padding (which could be excessive if we already have the
padding) + 15px margin at the bottom, while H2 has 38px of margin (this
seems especially big) + 5px of padding above. I would also investigate
the 15px left padding around H1, that results in a misalignment (the H1
is shifted to the right with respect to its natural position).

I'm not going to change any CSS, just CCing Marcus (in case he is not on
this list) for possible advice.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Lithuanian (LT) Website

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 07/05/2014 10:35 AM, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
> On 28/06/2014 Aivaras Stepukonis wrote:
>> You can still see the styling discrepancy by juxtaposing, say, this
>> http://www.openoffice.org/why/index.html with this
>> http://www.openoffice.org/product/index.html
>
> OK, so the issue is the large space between the
> "Why Apache OpenOffice" H1 heading and the
> "Why should I use Apache OpenOffice?" H2 heading at
> http://www.openoffice.org/why/index.html
>
> We indeed have very large vertical whitespace around those elements. H1
> has 15px padding (which could be excessive if we already have the
> padding) + 15px margin at the bottom, while H2 has 38px of margin (this
> seems especially big) + 5px of padding above. I would also investigate
> the 15px left padding around H1, that results in a misalignment (the H1
> is shifted to the right with respect to its natural position).
>
> I'm not going to change any CSS, just CCing Marcus (in case he is not on
> this list) for possible advice.

right, I'm not subscribed to this mailing list.

Of course we can change a lot - especially with CSS.

However, please note that when you do changes in globally used CSS files
(mostly "ooo.css" and "home.css" - but I'm sure there are more) then you
will change the styling for the *entire* OpenOffice website - especially
when changing prominent styles like h1, h2, p, a, etc.

If you don't like the global styles then you have 2 possibilities:

1. Create an own CSS file (e.g., "exceptions.css") where you put your
own styles or change already existing ones. Then include it in your HTML
file. Make sure your CSS is listed after the global ones. Otherwise it
won't work. That's the trick of CSS.

2. Change it directly in the HTML tag like the following example:

<h1 style="padding: 10px;">Headline</h1>

BTW:
I've learned to use the Firebug extension on Firefox to inspect the
styling in HTML files and their tags. Nowaays, this is an invaluable
help I won't miss anymore and you can learn a lot. So, if you haven't
used it give it a try. You won't regred it. :-)

If you use other browsers, then there are similar tools to see how the
webpage is working behind the curtain.

HTH

Marcus