Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Ankit Singhal <an...@gmail.com> on 2019/09/03 06:35:32 UTC

Re: incomplete hbase exports due to scan timeouts

>> Now we see that the Export/Import is broken since April 2019, But the
question remains what causes the long timeouts
As data may have grown over time and scanner would be just taking a lot of
time to filter the unwanted data and eventually timing out.

>> How can one identify regions which are in trouble?
you can check these counters for each mapper( or at the Job level) to check
how many times the scanner was restarted due to an issue and how much time
scanner was taking for each next.
-- NUM_SCANNER_RESTARTS
-- MILLIS_BETWEEN_NEXTS
There might be the region info in the debug application logs on which the
mapper was working. (but not sure at this point)

>> My questions are: Is it possible that „silent timeouts“ can cause
incomplete exports?
Until there is no bug, Job should have failed if there is any timeout
exception during the scan at mapper.
You may check if your MR setup/config allows some percentage of map
failures or skipping bad records by setting any of the following property?
-- mapred.max.map.failures.percent
-- mapreduce.map.skip.maxrecords

If above doesn't apply to you, please raise a bug in HBase project with the
reproducible steps on small data(timeout can be kept as low as 1 second to
reproduce the problem) and any debugging/patch to fix the problem would be
greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Ankit Singhal