Posted to general@commons.apache.org by Scott Sanders <ss...@nextance.com> on 2002/10/18 19:57:57 UTC

Langauge agnostic

I am a huge supporter of a language-agnonstic commons, but has any
thought been put into how to organize commons WRT language (mailing
lists, cvs, etc)?

Thanks,
Scott Sanders

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when
there is nothing left to take away. - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Re: Langauge agnostic

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org>.
--On Friday, October 18, 2002 10:57 AM -0700 Scott Sanders
<ss...@nextance.com> wrote:

> I am a huge supporter of a language-agnonstic commons, but has any
> thought been put into how to organize commons WRT language (mailing
> lists, cvs, etc)?

How would the core infrastructure requirements be different?

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I don't see why commons should be
care about language at all - that's a matter for the person writing
the code.  -- justin

Re: Langauge agnostic

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Henri Yandell wrote:

> Anything else other than the one cvs module and ML? I guess one website?
> Except that won't work as some parts will build their website
> automatically from Maven.
>
> CVS module... Might cause some issues. Unsure if all build tools are happy
> with such things. They should be.

if they use absolute paths, that shold be changed.  they should be able
to work with .-relative paths.  and i think one website, because this is
one project.  different pages for different components, but not completely
new sites; everything under commons.apache.org.  we're going to need to
be watchful to make sure things don't get lost, and we're going to need
to *remember* to do so.

> Bearing in mind how spammy Jakarta Commons can get for people, do you
> really want to be listening to the noisy rebol project that I propose next
> month?

yes.  we'll burn that bridge when we come to it, rather than engineering a
solution to a problem that doesn't yet exist.  (mho)
--
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Re: Langauge agnostic

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
> On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 05:01:45PM -0400, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> > my current thinking is for a single [set of] mailing list[s]
> > for all of apache commons, and cvs modules (i.e., subdirectories)
> > for each component.  that should help promote awareness, and
> > if someone has a question, there's one place to ask.  we may
> > have to figure out ways of tagging messages so people can
> > filter them, though.
>
> +1 on one piece of infrastructure for all of commons (one ML,
> CVS module, etc...)

Anything else other than the one cvs module and ML? I guess one website?
Except that won't work as some parts will build their website
automatically from Maven.

Bearing in mind how spammy Jakarta Commons can get for people, do you
really want to be listening to the noisy rebol project that I propose next
month?

CVS module... Might cause some issues. Unsure if all build tools are happy
with such things. They should be.

Hen

Re: Langauge agnostic

Posted by Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>.
On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 05:01:45PM -0400, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> my current thinking is for a single [set of] mailing list[s]
> for all of apache commons, and cvs modules (i.e., subdirectories)
> for each component.  that should help promote awareness, and
> if someone has a question, there's one place to ask.  we may
> have to figure out ways of tagging messages so people can
> filter them, though.

+1 on one piece of infrastructure for all of commons (one ML,
CVS module, etc...)

-aaron

Re: Langauge agnostic

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.