Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Sravan Kumar <sr...@caavo.com> on 2018/01/31 12:38:45 UTC

Title Search scoring issues with multivalued field & norm

Hi,
We are using solr for our movie title search.

As it is "title search", this should be treated different than the normal
document search.
Hence, we use a modified version of TFIDFSimilarity with the following
changes.
-  disabled TF & IDF and will only have 1 as value.
-  disabled norms by specifying omitNorms as true for all the fields.

There are 6 fields with different analyzers and we make use of different
weights in edismax's qf & pf parameters to match tokens & boost phrases.

But, movies could have aliases and have multiple titles. So, we made the
fields multivalued.

Now, consider the following four documents
1>  "Beauty and the Beast"
2>  "The Real Beauty and the Beast"
3>  "Beauty and the Beast", "La bella y la bestia"
4>  "Beauty and the Beast"

Note: Document 3 has two titles in it.

So, for a query "Beauty and the Beast" and with the above configuration all
the documents receive same score. But 1,3,4 should have got same score and
document 2 lesser than others.

To solve this, we followed what is suggested in the following thread:
http://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/Influencing-scores-on-values-in-multiValue-fields-td1791651.html

Now, the fields which are used to boost are made to use Norms. And for
matching norms are disabled. This is to make sure that exact & near exact
matches are rewarded.

But, for the same query, we get the following results.
query: "Beauty & the Beast"
Search Results:
1>  "Beauty and the Beast"
4>  "Beauty and the Beast"
2>  "The Real Beauty and the Beast"
3>  "Beauty and the Beast", "La bella y la bestia"

Clearly, the changes have solved only a part of the problem. The document 3
should be ranked/scored higher than document 2.

This is because lucene considers the total field length across all the
values in a multivalued field for normalization.

How do we handle this scenario and make sure that in multivalued fields the
normalization is taken care of?

Sravan

Re: Title Search scoring issues with multivalued field & norm

Posted by Sravan Kumar <sr...@caavo.com>.
Using edismax with different fields for each title will affect the final
scores if the tie paramter is non-zero.

Can we create separate document for each title? The uniqueness won't be for
movie_id but for each title. In this manner, even while using edismax, the
other titles won't affect the score.

Any other way to handle norms in multivalued field?

Posted by Sravan Kumar <sr...@caavo.com>.

Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@wunderwood.org>.

Posted by Sravan Kumar <sr...@caavo.com>.

Posted by Tim Casey <tc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sravan Kumar <sr...@caavo.com>.
> [...]

>>> Now, consider the following four documents
>>> 1>  "Beauty and the Beast"
>>> 2>  "The Real Beauty and the Beast"
>>> 3>  "Beauty and the Beast", "La bella y la bestia"
>>> 4>  "Beauty and the Beast"
>>>
>>> Note: Document 3 has two titles in it.
>>>
>>> So, for a query "Beauty and the Beast" and with the above configuration all
>>> the documents receive same score. But 1,3,4 should have got same score and
>>> document 2 lesser than others.
>>>
>>> To solve this, we followed what is suggested in the following thread:
>>> http://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/Influencing-scores-on-values-in-multiValue-fields-td1791651.html
>>>
>>> Now, the fields which are used to boost are made to use Norms. And for
>>> matching norms are disabled. This is to make sure that exact & near exact
>>> matches are rewarded.
>>>
>>> But, for the same query, we get the following results.
>>> 4>  "Beauty and the Beast"

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@wunderwood.org>.