Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Rick Reumann <ma...@reumann.net> on 2002/04/04 21:43:31 UTC

Re[2]: At wits end, questions JRun, Oracle9ias

Thanks for the feedback Mark. Actually we are using 9ias here also. (I
just had JRun running locally since it was smaller on my little
machine. Now I have Tomcat also so I really don't need to use both,
but thought I'd just try to get it to work ok under JRun). Is there
anything 'special' or 'quirky' that I need to know getting this to run
under Oracle9ias? I'm actually going to move some struts stuff over
there that was working under Tomcat right now and see how it works.

--

Rick
mailto:maillist@reumann.net

"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word
itself: 'Mankind'. Basically, it's made up of two separate words -
'mank' and 'ind'. What do these words mean ? It's a mystery, and
that's why so is mankind."
  -Jack Handey

Clarification on Oracle JDeveloper9i (Was:Re: Re[2]: At wits end, questions JRun, Oracle9ias)

Posted by Steve Muench <St...@oracle.com>.
| Oracle 9i is based on the Orion application server.  I think Oracle bought
| the source and are developing it, like they did with JBuilder -> JDeveloper.

Oracle JDeveloper 3.2.x was still partially based on
some Borland code, however now that is a thing of the past!

Our latest JDeveloper9i release has no longer any relationship
to JBuilder. Over the last two years we completely rewrote
the IDE in Java, added fully-integrated UML modeling,
code profiling, J2EE deployment/deployment, etc.

And now (as of JavaOne last week) it's free.

More info at:  http://otn.oracle.com/products/jdev

Steve Muench - Developer, Product Mgr, Evangelist, Author
Simplify J2EE and EJB Development with BC4J
http://otn.oracle.com/products/jdev/htdocs/j2ee_bc4j.html
Building Oracle XML Apps, www.oreilly.com/catalog/orxmlapp

RE: Re[2]: At wits end, questions JRun, Oracle9ias

Posted by Tim Sawyer <ts...@nildram.co.uk>.
Oracle 9i is based on the Orion application server.  I think Oracle bought
the source and are developing it, like they did with JBuilder -> JDeveloper.

The orion application server is free for development, and $1500 per server
for deployment.  We're using it instead of paying Oracle ?20,000 or so.
http://www.orionserver.com

It might make sense to use Orion in development, rather than Tomcat.  This
will be closer to 9i, and you're less likely to get problems migrating.

Just a thought.

Tim.