Posted to users@maven.apache.org by mr...@gmx.de on 2009/10/07 11:35:52 UTC

HowTo assemble assemblies?

Hi,

we got stuck in assembling an assembly.

Given the situation as shown below:

		|-----|
		| B1  |
		| pom |
		|-----|

	|-----|		|-----|
	| A1  |		| A2  |
	| pom |		| pom |
	|-----|         |-----|
	- M1:jar	- M3:jar
	- M2:jar	- M4:jar

B1, A1, and A2 are aggregates of type pom. A1 and A2 are modules of B1, M1 and M2 are modules of A1 and M3 and M4 are modules of A2. The parent pom of B1, A1 and A2 is P1 which is not shown cause it doesn't matter (managing dependencies mostly).

In A1 and A2 the assembly plugin (single) is bind to the package phase and assembles a jar containing binaries from M1 and M2 and M3 and M4 respectively. That seems to work fine.

What we would like to do is calling "mvn clean package assembly:assembly" (or similar) on B1 so that the assemblies of A1 and A2 are built and collected by B1 to B1's target directory. That does not work regardless what we are trying. The assembled jars from A1 and A2 are never taken. Defining the attachmentClassifier for A1 and A2 doesn't change anything like trying to include A1 and A2 by specifying the coordinates for the include does.

I read that one should use dependecySets rather than moduleSets. But this doesn't seem to be applicable for us. We will have plenty of assemblies like B1 which should collect many different combinations of A1, A2, A3 and so on and managing dependencies manually doesn't seem to be manageable.

Can anyone help us with that? Is that generally possible? Any help would be appreciated.

Best regards,

Maik