Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Enis Söztutar <en...@apache.org> on 2014/09/11 10:56:04 UTC

First release candidate for HBase 0.99.0 (RC0) is available. Please vote by 09/17/2014

I am very happy to say that the first HBase 0.99.0 release candidate (RC0)
is
available for download at https://people.apache.org/~enis/hbase-0.99.0RC0/

Maven artifacts are also available in the temporary repository
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehbase-1037/

Signed with my code signing key E964B5FF.

Signed tag in the repository can be found here:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=hbase.git;a=tag;h=336a63b5f58bb1c4859e3c2b6a2f5c0d68a7d9e1

NOTE IN GIGANTIC LETTERS THAT THIS IS A DEVELOPER RELEASE.
DO NOT USE THIS RELEASE IN PRODUCTION.

HBase 0.99.0 is a "developer preview" release, and an odd-numbered release
as
defined in  https://hbase.apache.org/book/upgrading.html#hbase.versioning.
This release IS NOT intended for production use, and does not contain any
backwards or forwards compatibility guarantees (even within minor versions
0.99.x). Please refrain from deploying this over important data.

0.99.0 release is provided from branch-1, which will be the basis for
HBase-1.0
release. A few 0.99.x releases are planned before 1.0. The reason for
doing a developer preview release is to get more testing for the branch-1
code
that will be released soon as HBase-1.0.0. Thus, all contribution in terms
of
testing, benchmarking, checking API / source /wire compatibility, checking
out
documentation and further code contribution is highly appreciated. 1.0 will
be
the first series in the 1.x line of releases which are expected to keep
compatibility with previous 1.x releases. Thus it is very important to
check
the client side and server side APIs for compatibility and maintainability
concerns for future releases.

0.99.0 contains slightly more than 1K issues resolved with many
improvements
and bug fixes. The theme of (eventual) 1.0 release is to become a stable
base
for future 1.x series of releases. 1.0 release will aim to achieve at least
the same level of stability of 0.98 releases without introducing too many
new
features.

Some work has been under way to clearly mark and differentiate client
facing
APIs, and redefine some of the client interfaces for improving semantics,
easy
of use and maintainability. 0.99.0 contains some of the completed items,
and
the rest can be found HBASE-10602. Marking/remarking of interfaces with
InterfaceAudience has also been going on, which will identify areas for
compatibility (with clients, coprocessors and dependent projects like
Phoenix)
for future releases.

Starting with 0.99.0, the HBase master server and backup master servers
will
also act as a region server. RPC port and info port for web UI is shared
for
the master and region server roles. Active master will be hosting the meta
table (and other hbase system tables, acl and namespace) by default
(unless configured otherwise). The master and backup masters will not be
hosting user level regions. See HBASE-10569 and HBASE-11604 for more
details.

This release contains Phase 1 items for experimental "Read availability
using
timeline consistent region replicas" feature. A region can be hosted in
multiple region servers in read-only mode. One of the replicas for the
region
will be primary, accepting writes, and other replicas will be sharing the
same
data files. Read requests can be done against any replica for the region
with
backup RPCs for high availability with timeline consistency guarantees.
More
information can be found at HBASE-10070.

Other notable improvements in this release are
 - Automatic tuning of global memstore and block cache sizes
 - Various security, tags and visibility labels improvements
 - Bucket cache improvements (usability and compressed data blocks)
 - A new pluggable replication endpoint to plug in to HBase's inter-cluster
   replication to replicate to a custom data store
 - A Dockerfile to easily build and run HBase from source
 - Internal refactoring for abstracting away zookeeper usage
 - Truncate table command
 - Region assignment to use hbase:meta table instead of zookeeper for faster
   region assignment (disabled by default)
 - Better support for Cell interface internally in read and write paths for
   better performance and flexibility
 - Combining internal mvcc and seqId infrastructure
 - Extensive documentation improvements
 - Numerous improvements in other areas and bug fixes.

The release has these changes in default behaviour:
 - hfile version 3 has been enabled by default
 - Distributed log replay has been enabled by default
 - Slab cache has been removed (use bucket cache instead)
 - Some client facing APIs (HTableInterface, etc) has been deprecated and
   replaced.

We have also adopted an orca as the mascot for Apache HBase. See it at
https://hbase.apache.org/

Thanks for everybody who have contributed to this release. Full list of the
issues
can be found here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12310753&version=12325675

Compatibility
-------------
0.99.x series of releases are preview of upcoming 1.0 release. HBase-1.0 is
planned to be wire compatible with 0.98.x and 0.96.x releases. Clients and
servers running in different versions as long as new features are not used
should be possible.
A rolling upgrade from 0.98.x clusters to 0.99.0 is supported as well.
0.99.0
introduces a new file format (hfile v3) that is enabled by default that
0.96.x code cannot read. Rolling upgrade from 0.96 directly to 0.99 is not
tested.

Direct migration from 0.94.x is also supported but it IS NOT tested. Before
HBase-1.0 we expect to complete the test.

Binary compatibility at the Java API layer with earlier versions (0.98.x,
0.96.x and 0.94.x) is not supported. You may have to recompile your client
code and any server side code (coprocessors, filters etc) referring to
hbase jars.

0.99.0 release introduces new APIs, and deprecates some of commonly-used
client side APIs (HTableInterface, etc). However, client side code is
expected
to be source compatible with earlier versions. However we advise to update
your application to use the new style of APIs, since deprecated APIs might
be removed in future releases (2.x).

Supported Hadoop versions
-------------------------
0.99.0 release drops support for Hadoop-1.x releases. Only Hadoop-2.x
releases are supported. Hadoop-2.4.x and Hadoop-2.5.x releases are the
most tested hadoop releases and we recommend running with those versions.
Earlier Hadoop-2 based releases (hadoop-2.2.x and 2.3.x) are not tested to
the full
extend. More information can be found here:
https://hbase.apache.org/book/configuration.html#hadoop

Supported Java versions
-------------------------
0.99.0 release drops support for JDK6. Only JDK7 is supported. JDK8 support
is experimental. More information can be found here:
https://hbase.apache.org/book/configuration.html#java

Voting
------
Please try to test and vote on this release by 09/17/2014 11:59PM PDT.
[] +1 Release the artifacts as 0.99.0
[] -1 DO NOT release the artifacts as 0.99.0, because...

Thanks for helping to get a stable release out!

Re: First release candidate for HBase 0.99.0 (RC0) is available. Please vote by 09/17/2014

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
+1

md5 is good.  Signature checked out but said this:

... so maybe put yours up in public place?

Thanks for filling out CHANGES.txt with included fixes.

Tried to start up master but failed because old dir in place (HMaster
wouldn't go down on FATAL error... HBASE-11967).

I wish we could turn down the zk logging especially its IOE dumps though
all is working 'normally'.

Docs look good (did you copy in the latest?)

Loaded up some data.  Verified it there.  Seems slower.  More MR going on?
 Logs look ok.

I've been running close to tip on a little cluster here and it looks
basically fine.

Will continue testing...

(I don't think you need a week-long VOTE for a developer release we know
has issues in it)

St.Ack

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
Jean-Marc:
I ran TestByteBufferIOEngine on Linux more than 10 times and they all
passed.

Can you pastebin test output ?

Thanks

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.
My 3 last runs:
jdk1.7:
    Run 1:
Failed tests:
testActiveThreadsCount(org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.TestMultiParallel):
expected:<5> but was:<4>

testGetPreviousRecoveryMode(org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.TestSplitLogManager)

    Run 2:

testBalanceOnMasterFailoverScenarioWithOfflineNode(org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.TestAssignmentManager):
test timed out after 60000 milliseconds

    Run 3:
Failed tests:   org.apache.hadoop.hbase.replication.TestReplicationEndpoint

testRowMutationMultiThreads(org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.TestAtomicOperation):
expected:<0> but was:<10>

And the related outputs: http://server.distparser.com:81/hbase/

I run with 12 threads for testing. I will try to reduce it and retry.

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.
Sound like I'm the specialist to get TimeOuts on the tests ;) Got them on
0.98 too ;)

I will send that shortly.

JM

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@gmail.com>.
>I think we should change this so this is NOT the default in 1.0. What do
>folks think?  The new deploy topology will surprise going from earlier
>version. Better folks enable it explicitly*?

Yes. I was not able to test HBASE-11604 last night, that's why it was not
involved in this RC. Let me test it and
commit the patch. If RC sinks (HBASE-11947 or some other reason) we'll have
it off by default.

Enis

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@apache.org>.
I've put up another release candidate (RC1) just now. It includes 23 more
jiras including disabling master-meta colocation. Please try to test and
vote by Friday.

Thanks JM for the failure reporting. TestAssignmentManager and
TestSplitLogManager
are pretty flaky lately.

Stack, I think I've uploaded my signing key to MIT servers. It should also
be there at https://people.apache.org/keys/committer/enis.asc and
https://www.us.apache.org/dist/hbase/KEYS. I don't know whether I have to
put it anywhere else.

Enis

On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 9:19 AM, Jean-Marc Spaggiari <

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@gmail.com>.

Posted by lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.