Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Ju...@Frontier.com on 2016/08/31 22:40:07 UTC

[users@httpd] ErrorLog Module Option Request

Since the RewriteLog and RewriteLogLevel directives have been eliminated I
would like to propose an optional module parameter be added to the ErrorLog
directive to specify a specific module.  Similar to the LogLevel directive.

   Current Syntax: ErrorLog file-path|syslog[:facility]
Proposed Syntax: ErrorLog [module:]file-path|syslog[:facility]

So maybe could do something like this:
ErrorLog rewrite:"logs/rewrite_log"
LogLevel rewrite:trace1

Need rewrite logging for normal operation, but don't want it cluttering the
error logs.
Rewrites are a part of normal operation, not errors.  Using the error logs
creates clutter making it more difficult to work with the error logs.

The following statement in the ErrorLog Directive documentation gave me hope
that specifying a module:file-path instead of syslog:facility would work.
But it did not.
"ErrorLog syslog:user"
"Additional modules can provide their own ErrorLog providers. The syntax is
similar to the syslog example above."

https://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/mod/core.html#errorlog
https://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/mod/core.html#loglevel

Thanks for your time and attention.  Hope a solution for keeping the rewrite
logging isolated from the error logging can be provided.

Re: [users@httpd] ErrorLog Module Option Request

Posted by Ju...@Frontier.com.
Re: piped logging; Oh goody more processes running as root.

Rewriting is a part of normal running operations and as such non error
logging of rewrites should be facilitated.

Really missing the RewriteLog and RewriteLogLevel directives.

Re: [users@httpd] ErrorLog Module Option Request

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 6:40 PM,  <Ju...@frontier.com> wrote:
> LogLevel rewrite:trace1
>

> Need rewrite logging for normal operation, but don't want it cluttering the
> error logs.
> Rewrites are a part of normal operation, not errors.  Using the error logs
> creates clutter making it more difficult to work with the error logs.

The RewriteLog was never intended for normal operation.  IMO It's
unlikely your requirement will be implemented (even if you added it to
bugzilla).

 It should be straightforward to handle in a simple piped logged, though.

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com