Posted to general@portals.apache.org by "David H. DeWolf" <dd...@apache.org> on 2005/12/19 02:33:13 UTC

portals-commons

As part of the synergy discussion, it has become apparent that one thing
many of us agree on is that we should create a "commons" project which
houses portal components which can be leveraged across portal
implementations.  I'd like to move forward in discussing this outside of
the synergy discussion so that we can focus on common ground instead of
focusing on the controversial parts of my original topic.

What services do we think fit within this commons project?  The most
obvious one in my book is a descriptor services which reads/writes
portlet (and perhaps web) descriptors.

Others?

David

Re: portals-commons

Posted by Raphaël Luta <ra...@apache.org>.
David H. DeWolf wrote:
> As part of the synergy discussion, it has become apparent that one thing
> many of us agree on is that we should create a "commons" project which
> houses portal components which can be leveraged across portal
> implementations.  I'd like to move forward in discussing this outside of
> the synergy discussion so that we can focus on common ground instead of
> focusing on the controversial parts of my original topic.
>
> What services do we think fit within this commons project?  The most
> obvious one in my book is a descriptor services which reads/writes
> portlet (and perhaps web) descriptors.
>
> Others?

I think it's a bit early for a detailed discussion on a protals-commons
repository given the amount of unresolved questions besides commons.

The key issue for me concerning a commons area is: should this be a
full subproject (complete with mailing-lists, bug tracking etc...) or
simply a shared branch of the portals SVN repository where all
Portals subproject put "utility" code used by their code but that can be
easily reused as is by others.

If we go for a full subproject, I'd like to have some mechanism in place to
prevent this subproject from becoming a kitchen sink of reusable java code.

--
Raphaël Luta - raphael@apache.org
http://portals.apache.org/