Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Rafael Schloming <ra...@redhat.com> on 2009/12/04 19:10:17 UTC

Committership Criteria

After some recent discussion around committership votes on the private
list, we realized that we needed a clearer description of what criteria
we use when voting in new committers. The following description came out
of this. I won't rehash the whole prior discussion, but I'd like to
offer the result here with the intention of getting feedback, answering
any questions, and hopefully proposing a formal vote on this soon:

Qualities we look for:

   - A candidate must demonstrate an understanding of how our project
     is structured and how we work.

   - A candidate must communicate openly about work planned/in-progress.

   - A candidate must demonstrate expertise in a significant area of
     the existing code base.

   - A candidate must demonstrate an extended commitment to the
     project.

Tests for these qualities:

   - contacting the right team members to discuss changes

   - actively soliciting feedback for significant changes or new
     development

   - multiple independent contributions over a period of several months

   - sponsorship by someone who has worked directly with the candidate
     reviewing and committing patches

   - detailed positive feedback from those who have worked directly
     with the candidate

   - a record of patches that maintain or improve the quality of the
     code without the need for feedback or rework

--Rafael

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org