Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com> on 2009/03/05 09:22:33 UTC

[beanutils] testing around ConvertUtils

In my unit tests I sometimes have the situation where I need to register my
custom converters for ConvertUtils in order to make everything behave as it
would in real life.

Normally the conversions are incidental to the test so it seems unnecessary to
need to set up ConvertUtils.

Seeing inside the ConvertUtils class that there is a ConvertUtilsBean, I had the
idea of using the ConvertUtilsBean in my classes, and initializing it via
dependency injection.

Then I could mock it.

However all access to the ConvertUtilsBean via the singleton getInstance factory
method is protected. Would it be unwise to instantiate it myself in my
dependency injection container?

Thanks
Adam

Re: [beanutils] testing around ConvertUtils

Posted by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>.
Hi Paul,

I do register them now, but I asked the question because I wanted to avoid it,
to keep my unit testing faster and easier.

I guess now that I've written a routine to set up the Converter, it's no more
hassle than setting up a mock, but in my ideal architecture, I would want to see
it mocked out instead.

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.