Posted to user@giraph.apache.org by Khaled Ammar <kh...@gmail.com> on 2014/09/15 19:29:22 UTC

Dynamic graphs vs Graph Mutation

Hi all,

I understand that Pregel supports graph mutations when vertices issue
requests to make changes in the graph topology (add/remove vertex/edge). I
have two questions here:

1- Does the same concept applies to supporting dynamic graphs? (Graphs that
change over time where the add/remove vertex/edge is read from a file
instead of being generated by the vertex?)
2- Which class/function handles graph mutations in the source code?

-Khaled

Re: Dynamic graphs vs Graph Mutation

Posted by Matthew Saltz <sa...@gmail.com>.
Khaled,

1) What exact functionality are you looking for? There isn't native Giraph
support per se for time-evolving graphs in that sense (as far as I'm aware)
but you should be able to simulate it in some fashion.

2) Check out AbstractComputation
<https://giraph.apache.org/apidocs/org/apache/giraph/graph/AbstractComputation.html>.
 When you want to call methods for adding/removing edges/vertices other
than the Vertex you're calling from, you'll be calling them from here. If
you look at the actual code, that leads you into the comm package with
WorkerClientRequestProcessor
<https://giraph.apache.org/apidocs/org/apache/giraph/comm/WorkerClientRequestProcessor.html>,
and into NettyWorkerClientRequestProcessor
<https://giraph.apache.org/apidocs/org/apache/giraph/comm/netty/NettyWorkerClientRequestProcessor.html>
where
things are actually implemented.

Hope that helps,