Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Travis Miller <gr...@hotmail.com> on 2002/12/08 03:04:08 UTC

[users@httpd] Having problems installing Apache2 under XP

Hi everybody...

I'm looking for a little help. Hope someone can point me in the right
direction.

I'm trying to install Apache 2.0.43 under Windows XP Pro. The .msi package
installs fine, but then when I try to browse to http://localhost/, IE just
spins and spins and eventually times out. The same thing happens if I try
http://127.0.0.1/.

When I check the error log, I see a few hundred copies of the same error
message:

[Sat Dec 07 20:45:42 2002] [error] (730038)An operation was attempted on
something that is not a socket.  : winnt_accept: AcceptEx failed. Attempting
to recover.

These are being added to the log at the rate of about 6 per second during
the time the browser is looking for localhost. A Google search reveals that
it's a Winsock error, but since I'm no Windows jockey I'm not sure what to
make of that. I do know that I have Winsock v2.0 since I'm running XP.

I read on the Apache site that you have to install XP Service Pack 1 before
installing Apache, so I uninstalled Apache, applied the service pack, and
reinstalled Apache...and it's still doing the same thing.

I poked around the Services control panel in Windoze, but I couldn't find
anything that seems to be interfering. I don't have a firewall and disabling
McAfee doesn't help. AFAIK IIS isn't installed. And I just reinstalled XP a
few days ago, so it's pretty fresh.

Any ideas?? When I installed Apache 1.3 under Win2K, I was able to browse
localhost immediately, and according to the docs, v2.0 should be the same
way.

I'd certainly appreciate any suggestions...thanks for reading!

greenie2600 at hotmail dot com
http://www.effectsdatabase.com/

Re: [users@httpd] Having problems installing Apache2 under XP

Posted by "J. Greenlees" <ja...@shaw.ca>.

Jim Walls wrote:
> "J. Greenlees" wrote:
>

>>Travis Miller wrote:
>>

>>> I don't have a firewall
>
> <snip>
> Don't think that's true.  In a training lab a few weeks ago, the first thing
> we did was format the hard drives and load XP onto 13 computers.  We DID NOT
> disable a firewall and I had no trouble having Seti@Home connected to the
> server.  We also used the XP remote control between computers in the lab, and
> file and print sharing.
>>
>>unless you disabled the one that xp has you do.
>>it comes with a firewall that stops ALL outgoing traffic unless it's ie
>>or outlook.
>>( it even blocks microshot netmeeting from getting out )

after five hours to get netmeeting online because of builtin firewall.
I think I know that xp has one.

check:
http://www.meetingbywire.com/XPNetMeeting.htm

a whole page dedicated to getting netmeeting past xp's firewall.

Re: [users@httpd] Having problems installing Apache2 under XP

Posted by Jim Walls <k6...@earthlink.net>.
"J. Greenlees" wrote:

> Travis Miller wrote:
>
> >  I don't have a firewall
>
> unless you disabled the one that xp has you do.
> it comes with a firewall that stops ALL outgoing traffic unless it's ie
> or outlook.
> ( it even blocks microshot netmeeting from getting out )

<snip>
Don't think that's true.  In a training lab a few weeks ago, the first thing
we did was format the hard drives and load XP onto 13 computers.  We DID NOT
disable a firewall and I had no trouble having Seti@Home connected to the
server.  We also used the XP remote control between computers in the lab, and
file and print sharing.

-----------------------
Jim Walls - K6CCC
k6ccc@amsat.org
http://home.earthlink.net/~k6ccc/
626-302-8515    FAX  626-302-7501
AMSAT member 32537 / WSWSS member 395
To send me PGP encrypted E-Mail, use:
http://home.earthlink.net/~k6ccc/PublicKey.html

Re: [users@httpd] Having problems installing Apache2 under XP

Posted by "J. Greenlees" <ja...@shaw.ca>.

Travis Miller wrote:

>  I don't have a firewall

unless you disabled the one that xp has you do.
it comes with a firewall that stops ALL outgoing traffic unless it's ie
or outlook.
( it even blocks microshot netmeeting from getting out )
found that out while getting a video conference going between my wife
and daughter.
windows is always doing stupid things like that to users.

RE: [users@httpd] Having problems installing Apache2 under XP

Posted by Rafael Fernandez <we...@obramaestraonline.com>.
I think your problem is the ports. You must change the port that Apache2
is using, it cannot share the same port, you can accomplish changing
this on the httpd.conf file and look for Listen 8000 is the default,
change it to another port like 11 is the one that I use, I use Apache
1.3.27, Apache 2.0.43, and Apache Tomcat 4.1 and I had to change ports,
so if you configure Apache 2 to port 11 you will have to access it by
http://localhost:11/. Also if you want to run cgi in Apache 2 without
going through so much hassle go to
ftp://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/pub/other. You may find there also an Apache
1.3.27 version configured with Perl 5.6.1, mod_ssl, php 4.2.3, open_ssl,
and apache asp.