Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Fred Feuerstein <FF...@gmx.net> on 2003/08/04 21:17:04 UTC

servlet-Mapping using Tomcat 4

Hi,

I am a newby to JSP's, but I already love it.

The Situation:
--------------
1. ServletServer = Tomcat 4 (Standalone)
2. Name of JSP = whoKnows.war
3. Using to deploy = Tomcats-Manager-Interface (FileUpload)
4. Servlet-Mapping (in whoKnows's web.xml) to = /foo/bar
5. Host of VirtuellServer = localhost (default)
6. Port of Host = 8080 (default)
7. OperatingSystem = Linux
8. DeployDir = $TOMCAT_HOME$/webapps

My application (whoKnows.war):
-----------------------------
1. My index.jsp takes some information from the user
2. Using <form action="...." method="POST">...</form> to pipe this forward
3. Using http://localhost:8080/whoKnows/index.jsp works just fine!

The problem/question:
---------------------
1. The main problem ist, that 'normal call' (/whoKnows/) works fine. That
means that I get my index.jsp, and all works the way I wanted to.
BUT, if I use /whoKnows/foo/bar my java-class of my jsp-Servlet (defined in
whoKnows web.xml)
is directly called (skipping my index.jsp). But I still want that my
index.jsp is called first.
May JSP-Page knows what to do with the java-class. Any Idea how I can
configure this?

2. The default context ist the Name of the JSP in the webapps-dir.
In this case it is '/whoKnows'. Is there any trick, that I cann change this?

I know that it is possible to configure an context for every application in
tomcats own xml-configuration files. But who is this done, and is there any
better possibility (doing this in whoKnows web.xml for example)?

Best regards,
Fred