Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@liege.ICS.UCI.EDU> on 1996/10/22 07:09:44 UTC

Re: A complaint

> I was just playing with the latest 1.2-dev, and I notice that Roy's
> new error-code code has taken Apache one step backwards: Namely, that
> we've apparently reverted to putting the status code in the HTML that
> we send by default. I most certainly do not want to see "404 File Not
> Found" as the title of error message. The browser may care, but the
> user most certainly does not. The "File Not Found" we've used for
> Apache since 0.8 is much better (the same applies to all the other
> codes).

I mentioned that when I showed the patch to the list, and I do prefer
to see the status code in the response since the reason-phrase is not
a reliable indicator of the status (i.e., an Apache server in France is
likely to change it).

Perhaps it would be better if the TITLE contained the status code and
the H1 did not.

.....Roy

Re: A complaint

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>.
On Tue, 22 Oct 1996, James H. Cloos Jr. wrote:
> Roy> Perhaps it would be better if the TITLE contained the status code
> Roy> and the H1 did not.
>
> Sounds like a good compromise.  I'm sure there are a lot of us who do
> want to see that info, somewhere, though the majority would likely not
> care.  (Or understand.)

Implemented and committed.

	Brian

Re: A complaint

Posted by "James H. Cloos Jr." <cl...@jhcloos.com>.
Roy> Perhaps it would be better if the TITLE contained the status code
Roy> and the H1 did not.

Sounds like a good compromise.  I'm sure there are a lot of us who do
want to see that info, somewhere, though the majority would likely not
care.  (Or understand.)

-JimC
--
James H. Cloos, Jr.         <URL:http://www.jhcloos.com/~cloos/>
cloos@jhcloos.com           Work: cloos@io.com

Re: A complaint

Posted by Alexei Kosut <ak...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>.
On Mon, 21 Oct 1996, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> I mentioned that when I showed the patch to the list, and I do prefer
> to see the status code in the response since the reason-phrase is not
> a reliable indicator of the status (i.e., an Apache server in France is
> likely to change it).

Maybe to you, since you wrote the spec. Maybe to me, since I've read
the spec (and written code based on it). But to the millions of
average people who read web pages, I don't think it means
much. (although some servers - NCSA's in particular - do give the
status code there, so people probably know kinda what 404 means) The
browser should know what it means, certainly... Besides, what about
custom error messages? That French webmaster is much more likely to
just insert a custom error page, in French, than to modify the
code. (unless someone produces a locaized version of Apache)

Actually, were I looking at a French web server, it really wouldn't
matter to me whether I got the actual content or an error page.... it
would mean the same thing to me ;)

> Perhaps it would be better if the TITLE contained the status code and
> the H1 did not.

That would be acceptable to me.

Alexei Kosut <ak...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>      The Apache HTTP Server