Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk> on 2002/01/21 15:42:21 UTC

.. Bizzare ... (was feedback on the latset changes)

I re-wrote my config.xml file from the "clean copy" and all my
JDBCRepository connection errors have dissappeared, even though there
appears to be no diff between the old and new conf.

Hmm.. put it down to experience.

Anyway ..

watching the db log there seems to be a better quality of pooling going on,
everything is using the same connection id (I haven't got the load for more
than one)

However I keep seeing this in the log..
020121 14:29:07     115 Query       SELECT 1
                    115 Query       SELECT message_name, message_state,
last_updated FROM message WHERE repository_name = 'spool' ORDER BY
last_updated ASC

And what I want to know is; Where does "SELECT 1" come from?

d.

Re: .. Bizzare ... (was feedback on the latset changes)

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
That rings a bell, but not a very clear or loud one.  I think we need to
implement dispose or destroy or something like that on James.java (?) and
various components...basically help Avalon do a graceful shutdown.

Glad the mordred stuff fixed things for you...  I'm not sure if Berin has
had time to make excalibur into a usable db pooler, but if not, maybe we can
submit mordred back to the Avalon project.

Serge Knystautas
http://www.lokitech.com/
Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.
Aha!

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Are you using the Excalibur code, or at you using the James-specific
'mordred' code?  I had hacked the mordred stuff together since excalibur
wasn't reliable and I became desperate to upgrade.  Namely,
1. It had little or no error feedback if there was trouble setting up the
DB.
2. It automatically killed a connection after 15 uses
3. The pooling was unreliable about creating new connections when needed
(although the kill-on-15 rule would mask most of these issues)

Unless you've changed this in James, the db and dbfile repositories are
using my db pooling/resource hack.  Just thought I'd mention if you're
trying to track down the problem...

Serge Knystautas
http://www.lokitech.com/

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>