Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Collin VanDyck <cv...@mindspring.com> on 2003/03/15 00:22:48 UTC

Transforming with XML in database

We've got a database of XSLT documents, and I'd like to be able to selectively apply one of those transforms at some point in my pipeline.

We also generate XML from the database by extending AbstractSAXSource, and implementing a pseudo-protocol that calls it.

I'd like to be able to say something like:

<match type="request" pattern="customTransform">
    <map:generate src="cxml-page://get-page"/>
    <map:transform src="cxml-xform://get-xslt"/>
    <map:serialize>
</match>

All I really want to do is to grab the XML from the database, and shove it in the pipeline at the transform stage.  Any tips on how to do this would be appreciated.  I looked into extending an AbstractTransformer, but I don't think that's the way to go, as I'm not interested in the individual elements and events... I just want to run it thru an arbitrary stylesheet.

thanks!
Collin

Re: Transforming with XML in database

Posted by Charles Yates <ce...@stanford.edu>.
If you've got a AbstractSAXSource that gets stuff from the database how
about writing a similar AbstractStreamSource that retrieves your
stylesheets and then just use the TraxTransformer?  Or modify your
existing Source to do both toSAX() and getInputStream() efficiently.
(I'm referring to the cocoon 2.0.4 version of Source here)

<map:match type="request" pattern="customTransform">
  <map:generate type="file" src="cxml-sax://get-page"/>
  <map:transform type="xslt" src="cxml-stream://get-xslt"/>
  <map:serialize type="xml"/>
</map:match>

Charles