Posted to dev@ode.apache.org by Tammo van Lessen <tv...@gmail.com> on 2010/06/07 15:32:33 UTC

BPM ecosystem at Apache

Hi guys,

I'd like to raise a discussion about the ecosystem at Apache around ODE
in particular and BPM in general.

While ODE is getting mature and provides a stable BPEL execution, the
BPM market is moving on, bringing up new languages (BPMN 2.0), new human
task definitions (WSHT), new integrations (BPEL4People), new projects
(Apache Hise), new adopters (JBoss Riftsaw), etc.

I think it is time to discuss not only an adjusted road map for ODE
(adding support for BPMN 2.0 and BPEL4People/WSHT) but also the BPM
ecosystem at Apache.

Apache Hise is currently under incubation and ODE is the sponsoring PMC.
There may also be other BPM related projects that may want to find their
home at Apache, but not necessarily under the umbrella of ODE, which
would directly connect them with BPEL and/or process execution.

I think we should think about founding a BPM umbrella PMC at Apache the
can serve as the home of Ode, Hise, and whatever BPMish project that
will come up in future. Honestly, this is yet just an uncooked idea, but
I'd like to get your opinions on that. WDYT?

Thanks,
  Tammo

--
Tammo van Lessen - http://www.taval.de

Re: BPM ecosystem at Apache

Posted by Rafal Rusin <ra...@intalio.com>.
Sounds very good.

Rafał Rusin
http://rrusin.blogspot.com

Re: BPM ecosystem at Apache

Posted by Milinda Pathirage <mi...@gmail.com>.

Re: BPM ecosystem at Apache

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.

--
Paul Fremantle
Co-Founder and CTO, WSO2

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: BPM ecosystem at Apache

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Re: BPM ecosystem at Apache

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

can have
multiple TLP on the same domain (consider CXF / Axis, but there are other
examples too).
So having a bpm.apache.org would not be possible I think.

The fact that it's difficult to find projects for a given technology is
irrelevant to the fact that they
are grouped into a single TLP or not I think.  For that, the
projects.apache.org site should be
improved imo.

> Tammo
>
> On 07.06.2010 15:47, Rafal Rusin wrote:
> > I think growing ODE is the way to go, because in the end, things will be
> > integrated, which means a lot.
> >
> > On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 3:36 PM, Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Last time I looked, umbrella projects were still frowned upon at the ASF

Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet
------------------------

Re: BPM ecosystem at Apache

Posted by Tammo van Lessen <tv...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

--
Tammo van Lessen - http://www.taval.de

Re: BPM ecosystem at Apache

Posted by Rafal Rusin <ra...@intalio.com>.
I think growing ODE is the way to go, because in the end, things will be
integrated, which means a lot.

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 3:36 PM, Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Last time I looked, umbrella projects were still frowned upon at the ASF
>
> On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 15:32, Tammo van Lessen <tv...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > I'd like to raise a discussion about the ecosystem at Apache around ODE
> > in particular and BPM in general.
> >
> > While ODE is getting mature and provides a stable BPEL execution, the
> > BPM market is moving on, bringing up new languages (BPMN 2.0), new human
> > task definitions (WSHT), new integrations (BPEL4People), new projects
> > (Apache Hise), new adopters (JBoss Riftsaw), etc.
> >
> > I think it is time to discuss not only an adjusted road map for ODE
> > (adding support for BPMN 2.0 and BPEL4People/WSHT) but also the BPM
> > ecosystem at Apache.
> >
> > Apache Hise is currently under incubation and ODE is the sponsoring PMC.
> > There may also be other BPM related projects that may want to find their
> > home at Apache, but not necessarily under the umbrella of ODE, which
> > would directly connect them with BPEL and/or process execution.
> >
> > I think we should think about founding a BPM umbrella PMC at Apache the
> > can serve as the home of Ode, Hise, and whatever BPMish project that
> > will come up in future. Honestly, this is yet just an uncooked idea, but
> > I'd like to get your opinions on that. WDYT?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >  Tammo
> >
> > --
> > Tammo van Lessen - http://www.taval.de
> >

> --
> Cheers,
> Guillaume Nodet
> ------------------------
> Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
> ------------------------
> Open Source SOA
> http://fusesource.com

Rafał Rusin
http://rrusin.blogspot.com

Re: BPM ecosystem at Apache

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
Last time I looked, umbrella projects were still frowned upon at the ASF ...

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 15:32, Tammo van Lessen <tv...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I'd like to raise a discussion about the ecosystem at Apache around ODE
> in particular and BPM in general.
>
> While ODE is getting mature and provides a stable BPEL execution, the
> BPM market is moving on, bringing up new languages (BPMN 2.0), new human
> task definitions (WSHT), new integrations (BPEL4People), new projects
> (Apache Hise), new adopters (JBoss Riftsaw), etc.
>
> I think it is time to discuss not only an adjusted road map for ODE
> (adding support for BPMN 2.0 and BPEL4People/WSHT) but also the BPM
> ecosystem at Apache.
>
> Apache Hise is currently under incubation and ODE is the sponsoring PMC.
> There may also be other BPM related projects that may want to find their
> home at Apache, but not necessarily under the umbrella of ODE, which
> would directly connect them with BPEL and/or process execution.
>
> I think we should think about founding a BPM umbrella PMC at Apache the
> can serve as the home of Ode, Hise, and whatever BPMish project that
> will come up in future. Honestly, this is yet just an uncooked idea, but
> I'd like to get your opinions on that. WDYT?
>
> Thanks,
>  Tammo

Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet