Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org> on 2018/12/07 20:25:10 UTC

Ignite cloud readiness and as a managed service

Igniters,

Presently, there are no any doubts that the private/public cloud
deployments would be dominating soon. Personally, I already see even
conservative companies moving from on-prem to clouds. That migration is
impossible w/o essential support and integrations with tools/environments
like Kubernetes, Docker, AWS, Azure, OpenShift, VMWare to name few.

Luckily, Ignite is pretty well-equipped at the moment. However, there are
some gaps which I would encourage us to highlight. What should the
community do to make Ignite 100% ready for cloud deployments the next year?
For instance, that's my list of gaps:

   - Pivotal Cloud Foundry support
   - Helm integration - https://helm.sh
   - Prometheus integration - https://prometheus.io

Moreover, some of the companies moved forward and began using Ignite as a
managed service. There is nothing we can do on the community side except
for listing where Ignite users can get the service, which might be helpful.
I'm thinking to create a webpage that would list all the known solutions
like 2 below. Any recommendations on this?

   - https://www.nexaops.com/managed-services/managed-services-apache-ignite
   - https://gridgain.cloud

--
Denis

Re: Ignite cloud readiness and as a managed service

Posted by Vyacheslav Daradur <da...@gmail.com>.
From my point of view, it's important to further develop the thin client.

Users should be able to use most of Ignite's components via thin
client, as far as possible, just for example:
* transactional CRUD operations over data in the cluster;
* deploy/undeploy and monitor services in the Service Grid;
* run and manage the compute tasks;
* work with ML component;
* data streaming and so on...

The thin client allows end-user to place application and Ignite
cluster in a different environment and avoid impact on cluster's
topology.

--
Best Regards, Vyacheslav D.