Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Hamilton Veríssimo de Oliveira <ho...@bvtibusiness.com.br> on 2003/09/05 19:38:02 UTC

Calling for vote

Hi

After a week of brainstorm I found that the most valuable way of
architect a new system (based on entities, persistence and business
rules) is using Avalon. _Unfortunatelly_ this application should be
written in .Net and Avalon is *very* premature.

So I'd like to push Avalon.Net forward quickly, or build something for
internal use (don't like this idea). I'd like to calling a vote to be a
committer based on http://jakarta.apache.org/site/roles.html

"In order for a Contributor to become a Committer, another Committer can
nominate that Contributor or the Contributor can ask for it. "

Thanks

hammett

Re: Calling for vote

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Hamilton Veríssimo de Oliveira wrote:

>Hi
>
>After a week of brainstorm I found that the most valuable way of
>architect a new system (based on entities, persistence and business
>rules) is using Avalon. _Unfortunatelly_ this application should be
>written in .Net and Avalon is *very* premature.
>
>So I'd like to push Avalon.Net forward quickly, or build something for
>internal use (don't like this idea). I'd like to calling a vote to be a
>committer based on http://jakarta.apache.org/site/roles.html
>
>"In order for a Contributor to become a Committer, another Committer can
>nominate that Contributor or the Contributor can ask for it. "

Consider yourself nominated!
+1 for hammet as committer
Steve.

>Thanks
>
>hammett

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org

http://avalon.apache.org/sandbox/merlin

Re: Calling for vote

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Hamilton Veríssimo de Oliveira wrote:

> Hi
>
> After a week of brainstorm I found that the most valuable way of
> architect a new system (based on entities, persistence and business
> rules) is using Avalon. _Unfortunatelly_ this application should be
> written in .Net and Avalon is *very* premature.
>
> So I'd like to push Avalon.Net forward quickly, or build something for
> internal use (don't like this idea). I'd like to calling a vote to be a
> committer based on http://jakarta.apache.org/site/roles.html
>
> "In order for a Contributor to become a Committer, another Committer can
> nominate that Contributor or the Contributor can ask for it. "
>

> Thanks
>
> hammett

Considering the involvement you have had so far with Avalon.NET, I second
your request.

+1 from me!

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin

Re: Calling for vote

Posted by Leo Sutic <le...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 7 Sep 2003, Paul Hammant wrote:
> >>It is also standard for people to not propose themselves :-)
> Consider the precedent. Surely that does not require explanation.
>
> Hammett, as it happens, is no fly by night contributor to Avalon.

Paul,

I'm saying that it doesn't matter if a person is proposed by
existing committers or by him/herself. They still have to be voted in and
a comitter still has to send off a note to root to grant them karma.

So even if we get 1000 people who propose themselves it makes no
difference at all since they'll all be rejected. And the risk that we'd
get a 1000-email flood of nominations that have no hope in hell of passing
the vote is at the same level as someone signing up for this list and
flooding it with plain ol' crap and can be dealt with in the same way.

I don't see what the problem with proposing oneself as a committer is.

/LS

Re: Calling for vote

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@ThoughtWorks.net>.
Leo,

--
http://www.thoughtworks.com -> The art of heavy lifting.
Home for many Agile practicing, Open Source activists...

Re: Calling for vote

Posted by Leo Sutic <le...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 6 Sep 2003, Paul Hammant wrote:
> It is also standard for people to not propose themselves :-)

Paul,

having balls hasn't counted against a man so far. Why start now?

Either way, consider him nominated by me.

/LS

Re: Calling for vote

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@ThoughtWorks.net>.
Hammett,

Re: Calling for vote

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Paul Hammant wrote:

> Hammett,
>
>>> I'd like to stick to standard Apache rules for committers.  Months of
>>> patches prior to nomination.
>>>

>> I had quote a Apache rule in my original post. Anyway, if this
>> decision is
>> taken based on patch quantities, I'll have no chance. For several times I
>> could do more to Avalon, but my hands were tied as I don't have enough
>> knowledge from what Berin and Chris expected. Anyway contributions is not
>> restrict to patchs. I first engaged in discussions almost always
>> related to
>> Avalon.Net. You can check it
>>
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/cgi-bin/htsearch?method=and&format=short&config=
>>
>> dev_avalon_apache_org&restrict=&exclude=&words=hammett
>>
>> The first is dated Jul 29.
>>
>> I respect your vote, but you are trying to have a decision based on
>> quantity
>> instead of quality.
>>
> Both. The standard advice is to not rush committers in.
>
> It is nothing personal.

Paul, just so I can lay my eyes on it, where are these "Apache rules"?  Do
you have a link?  THere is nothing on the main www.apache.org site regarding
contributions, etc.  To be honest, out of all the projects I have been involved
in, only one held to the six month guideline--XML Axis (now in ws.apache.org).

I have yet to see an Apache HTML page saying that the "rule" exists.

Re: Calling for vote

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@ThoughtWorks.net>.
Hammett,

Re: Calling for vote

Posted by hammett <ha...@uol.com.br>.

Re: Calling for vote

Posted by hammett <ha...@uol.com.br>.
Posted by Paul Hammant <pa...@yahoo.com>.
Stephen,

> As you know, your vote against the participation of hammett as a
> committer is a veto.  It seems to me that this is real shame because I
> think his contributions over the past four months have been valuable.  I
> would appreciate it if you would reconsidered you position.  In light of
> this veto, I would like to propose that hammett be granted provisional
> commit rights under the sandbox CVS as an interim measure.
>
> Do you have any objection to this proposal?

I'm really sorry. There, in my opinion, should be no part entry to Apache.

As pennance to myself I honor to apply the patches that Hammett sends in. I do not want anyone to
feel that I do not welcome Hammett, I just think the hurdles prior to entry should be many. I
appreciate that I got in to Apache on less than the months of work that I am proposing that we
hold as a requirement.

Regards,

- Paul

Re: Calling for vote

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Paul Hammant wrote:

> Hamilton
>
>> "In order for a Contributor to become a Committer, another Committer can
>> nominate that Contributor or the Contributor can ask for it. "
>>

> -1
>
> I'd like to stick to standard Apache rules for committers.  Months of
> patches prior to nomination.

Paul:

As you know, your vote against the participation of hammett as a
committer is a veto.  It seems to me that this is real shame because I
think his contributions over the past four months have been valuable.  I
would appreciate it if you would reconsidered you position.  In light of
this veto, I would like to propose that hammett be granted provisional
commit rights under the sandbox CVS as an interim measure.

Do you have any objection to this proposal?

Stephen.

Re: Calling for vote

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@ThoughtWorks.net>.
Hamilton

>"In order for a Contributor to become a Committer, another Committer can
>nominate that Contributor or the Contributor can ask for it. "

-1

I'd like to stick to standard Apache rules for committers.  Months of
patches prior to nomination.

New projects are different. Avalon is not in a position to accept new
projects.

- Paul

RE: Calling for vote

Posted by Leo Sutic <le...@inspireinfrastructure.com>.