Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by ODI DEV <od...@puresoftware.com> on 2020/08/21 07:59:35 UTC

Request to release packages(Apache Solr Solrj,Apache Solr Core) with latest netty

Hi Team,

Regarding using the latest netty version, May I know why are we using
'Netty' version 4.1.47.final in released branch whereas we are using netty
4.1.50.final version in build files of master branch which was updated
before the previous 2 releases?

I tried successful local builds of this package "Apache Solr Solrj" of the
master branch, on arm and x86 both architectures using 'ant' and 'Gradle'
building methods.

Master branch is tested locally, it is downloading netty's 4.1.50.final
version, while building with both Gradle and ant.
however netty version used in its recent & latest [maven repo release](
https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.apache.solr/solr-solrj/8.6.1) is
4.1.47.final.

Netty version from below files of the master branch and release branch are
not same:
- [ivy-versions.properties](
https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/blob/master/lucene/ivy-versions.properties#L76
)
- [versions.props](
https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/blob/master/versions.props#L36)

Kindly let us know when can we see netty latest version as the update netty
ver 4.1.50 includes both security fixes and AArch64 performance
improvements.
Refer release notes for detail:
  -https://netty.io/news/2020/05/13/4-1-50-Final.html
  -https://netty.io/news/2020/07/09/4-1-51-Final.html

Thanks,
Odidev

Re: Request to release packages(Apache Solr Solrj,Apache Solr Core) with latest netty

Posted by David Smiley <ds...@apache.org>.
It was just recently updated:
8.7 will use 4.1.50.Final.  I just checked by using a local distribution
(cd solr; ant dist) on branch_8x and looking for the netty jar files
therein.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley