Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com> on 2007/03/15 16:37:21 UTC

Trinidad, Tomahawk, Tobago, and RCF [Was: [Proposal] RCF, a rich component library for JSF]

I'd strongly prefer to see Trinidad as a subproject of MyFaces than a TLP.
The JSF world needs better integrated component sets, not yet another
splintered-off incompatible-with-everything-else component set.
That is only likely to happen if the component sets are part of the
same project and the "good ideas" from one component set are applied
to the other component sets.

I still think there's hope for making Tobago and Tomahawk compatible
as well.   We started a discussion on this, and it was postponed until
after a Tobago release (0.8?) by the Tobago developers, but
unfortunately we never returned back to it.

At some point we should discuss what an ideal JSF component framework
architecture looks like and whether it's feasible for all of our
components to be a part of such an architecture.

Re: Trinidad, Tomahawk, Tobago, and RCF [Was: [Proposal] RCF, a rich component library for JSF]

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
+1

I know the trinidad arch, and like to overhaul Tomahawk, that a
tomahawk² is in a "good shape".

-M

--
Matthias Wessendorf
http://tinyurl.com/fmywh

further stuff:
mail: mwessendorf-at-gmail-dot-com

Re: Trinidad, Tomahawk, Tobago, and RCF [Was: [Proposal] RCF, a rich component library for JSF]

Posted by Grant Smith <wo...@gmail.com>.

--
Grant Smith

Re: Trinidad, Tomahawk, Tobago, and RCF [Was: [Proposal] RCF, a rich component library for JSF]

Posted by Grant Smith <wo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Re: Trinidad, Tomahawk, Tobago, and RCF [Was: [Proposal] RCF, a rich component library for JSF]

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
-1 on two TLPs

IMO there shouldn't a release of any comp. lib, working only w/ one IMPL

Perhaps Tomahawk is to much depending on MyFaces (shared).
Trinidad works w/ both. For Tomahawk² we should change the strategy,
and use Trin. as the *core* / base ...

-M

Posted by Zubin Wadia <zw...@gmail.com>.

Re: Google Maps (was: Trinidad, Tomahawk, Tobago, and RCF)

Posted by Cagatay Civici <ca...@gmail.com>.
A cool example from Matthias's FacesGoodies project;

http://jroller.com/page/mwessendorf?entry=web_2_0_building_mashup

http://code.google.com/p/facesgoodies/

Posted by Marcus Beyer <mb...@thomas-daily.de>.

Posted by "Barbalace, Richard" <RB...@PARTNERS.ORG>.
As someone who mostly just lurks on the dev list, I did want to comment on
Werner's post.  I would be very interested in component programming, and I have
a fair number of ideas for what I think would make useful and interesting
components.  (Wouldn't it be nice to have a Google Maps component, for
instance?)

But trying to figure out even how to get started is frustrating.  There are all
these different projects, with seemingly different purposes, with scattered or
poor documentation, and with no single place for getting a top-down overview.
Having a nice, clear taxonomy of all the projects and their relationships would
be a helpful start, but it would be so much better if there were better
integration.  I personally would be unlikely to start developing components
until that is achieved.

Richard J. Barbalace

The information transmitted in this electronic communication is intended only for the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this information in error, please contact the Compliance HelpLine at 800-856-1983 and properly dispose of this information.

Re: Trinidad, Tomahawk, Tobago, and RCF [Was: [Proposal] RCF, a rich component library for JSF]

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
Commons is a good idea no matter what we do.  However, in order for us
to use Trinidad as a base, we must first get Trinidad graduated and
get the code into Tomahawk.

Once that's done, I'd say we should branch Trinidad and start copying
stuff into it.   Those of us who are interested in getting everything
integrated can start working from that branch.

As I said in another thread dealing with adding facelets support, the
biggest impediment is getting the infrastructure in place.   Once
that's done, work can begin on individual pieces.  I'm not willing to
learn Maven at this time, though, so I can't initiate the
infrastructure.

I don't know enough about Trinidad to know if it's worthwhile to start
on Commons before we have the Trinidad base.  For facelets support
alone, it probably makes sense to wait.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.