Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Hale Bales <hb...@vmware.com> on 2021/03/17 18:42:26 UTC

[Proposal] Backport GEODE-9045 to support/1.14

Hello,

     I am putting forward the proposal to backport GEODE-9045 (Rename Redis properties and error messages) to support/1.14 branch,

    What does GEODE-9045 do?

              *   It renames the redis-port property to compatible-with-redis-port
              *   It renames the redis-bind-address property to compatible-with-redis-bind-address
              *   It renames the redis-password property to compatible-with-redis-password
              *   It rewords error messages to remove usages of Redis, and changing them to something
                  along the lines of Compatible with Redis

    These changes are low-risk as they are limited entirely to the Geode’s Redis-compatibility subsystem and do not impact any other Geode code. This is simply a rename of properties and does not change any behavior.

            Why do we need to backport these changes?

              *   These changes will make us compliant with Redis's copyright, which does not allow us to claim that we are Redis. This prevents us from having any customer-facing places that say Redis, or Geode Redis.

~ hale (they/them)

Re: [Proposal] Backport GEODE-9045 to support/1.14

Posted by Owen Nichols <on...@vmware.com>.
Added to blocker list.  Thanks for raising this now, and a good reminder that when we do get to 1.14.0.RC1, some extra scrutiny on legal/license-y stuff will be a good thing for PMC members to include in their review.

    +1