Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Riji K <kr...@gmail.com> on 2017/12/19 08:44:50 UTC

Gateway Timeout Errors

Hi All,

I'm running a 50 User concurrent test with 50seconds RUT on a
web-application, which results in higher number of "Gateway Timeout Errors".

With Increasing the ramp-up to 1000 seconds RUT, the errors were not
observed.

What would be the reason for this. I think 50 seconds  ramp-up is
sufficient for the user. Also would i like to know if i give 1000 seconds
ramp-up for 50 user, will be any concurrency.?

Please help me.

Regards,
Riji K

Re: Gateway Timeout Errors

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.
>What would be the reason for this
Difficult to say , its the app thats behaving badly!. What are the response
times you are seeing ? An example of systems that exhibit the behavior you
describe are systems that lazily load caches (with synchronized wait
behavior for other requests while the cache is being loaded OR all of the
other requests also try to load the cache) and hence initial requests take
a long time and so for e.g. if your first request is going to take 20
seconds then you will end up with 20 requests waiting (50 users with ramp
up of 50 seconds is 1 new request every second). If all are trying to load
cache you might even see more as everyone slows down everyone else.
By increasing your ramp-up you are reducing the initial load the system
sees - But does each thread just run 1 iteration only ? In which case yes ,
you probably have very little concurrency.

Note , for most test scripts , Ramp Up is meant to prevent a burst of
requests which may not represent your normal load. Your concurrency
*should* be determined by other factors (the duration your test runs after
all threads are created , the think times in your script etc). Think about
it this way. Say 50 users are sitting doing something on your website - not
everyone is actually doing something at the same time - most users will be
reading the page for e.g. - but maybe 10 of those click a link at the same
time - the concurrency your system sees is approx 10. In your test you
might still model this as 50 threads (for 50 users) but create your script
such that the system sees about 10 requests at the same time. What the Ramp
up controls is that your system doesnt see 50 requests immediately as soon
as the test starts .

Re: Gateway Timeout Errors

Posted by Ivan Rancati <iv...@gmail.com>.
hi,

if you run your Thread Group for longer than the ramp-up time, you will
have concurrency.
That's a normal setup for a load test. Or have I misunderstood the question?

The reason for the errors could be in the web application (see the server
logs) or the web server that's in front of it (see its logs)

Best,