Posted to dev@daffodil.apache.org by Shane Dell <sh...@gmail.com> on 2022/03/31 16:41:04 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Daffodil VS Code 1.0.0-rc3

Hello all,
I'd like to call a vote to release Apache Daffodil VS Code 1.0.0-rc3.

All distribution packages, including signatures, digests, etc. can be
found at:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/daffodil/daffodil-vscode/1.0.0-rc3/

This release has been signed with PGP key
86DDE7B41291E380237934F007570D3ADC76D51B, corresponding
to shanedell@apache.org, which is included in the KEYS file here:
https://downloads.apache.org/daffodil/KEYS

The release candidate has been tagged in git with 1.0.0-rc3.

For reference, here is a list of all closed GitHub issues tagged with 1.0.0:
https://github.com/apache/daffodil-vscode/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aclosed+is%3A1.0.0
Please note if you have installed one of the other rc releases
(1.0.0-rc1, 1.0.0-rc2)
you will need to do the following:

    1.) Uninstall extension from VS Code

    2.) Reload VS Code

    3.) Remove the folder "daffodil-dap". Below are the most likely
PATH for each os:

        a.) Windows = 'C:\\Users\\USERNAME\\AppData\\Roaming\\daffodil-dap

        b.) Mac = '/Users/USERNAME/Library/Application\ Support/daffodil-dap'

        c.) Linux = '/home/USERNAME/.local/share/daffodil-dap'

    4.) Install rc3 VSIX file

NOTE: Step 3 is very crucial as if this folder is not deleted the updated Scala
debugger will not be loaded, it will just use the version of the debugger from
your previously installed rc extension.

Please review and vote. The vote will be open for at least 72 hours
(Sunday, 3 April 2022, 12 Noon EST).

[ ] +1 approve
[ ] +0 no opinion
[ ] -1 disapprove (and reason why)

Thank you,

- Shane Dell

RE: [VOTE] Release Apache Daffodil VS Code 1.0.0-rc3

Posted by "Interrante, John A (GE Research, US)" <Jo...@ge.com>.
+1

I checked that all libs used in both Apache Daffodil 3.3.0 and Apache Daffodil VS Code 1.0.0-rc3's daffodil-debugger-3.3.0 zip have the same versions now.  As expected, both have some libs that the other doesn't use, too.

I checked that the 1.0.0-rc3 .vsix file looks clean (my own .vsix file had two daffodil-debugger-3.2.1 and -3.3.0 zip files inside it, so I ran "git clean -xfd" in my checkout and then ran "yarn build" again, after which the two .vsix files' contents matched each other pretty well).

I checked that the only difference between the 1.0.0-rc3 src zip and my checkout (after another "git clean -xfd") was that my checkout had a ".git" subdirectory and the src zip didn't have it.

I realized that the top-level LICENSE in the daffodil-vscode repository needs to be updated slightly so that any text in common between LICENSE and build/bin.LICENSE matches exactly in both files.  I'll send a PR to update daffodil-vscode/LICENSE, but I won't merge it until after 1.0.0 is released.  I also have submitted a PR to standardize daffodil's LICENSE and NOTICE files for similar reasons which still needs two +1's too.

https://github.com/apache/daffodil-vscode/pull/99
https://github.com/apache/daffodil/pull/780

John

Posted by Shane Dell <sh...@apache.org>.
+1 I was able to successfully download the extension and install it into VS Code. Once done I was able to debug the EDIFACT schema and put breakpoints into the different files without issue.

Posted by Shane Dell <sh...@apache.org>.
Yeah I can go through and just label them as 1.0.0 if you prefer then I will close the vote.

Posted by Steve Lawrence <sl...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Mike Beckerle <mb...@apache.org>.
+1 binding

I did some breakpoint debugging of EDIFACT, and it worked to stop in
breakpoints anywhere in the schema, showing the schema element, infoset so
far, delta in infoset from prior step and showing position in the hex dump.
(I had the most trouble just getting all that fitting on the screen. VSCode
is still new to me.)  I found myself wanting to put breakpoints everywhere
so as to simulate single-stepping and stepping down into child elements.
That's going to be a high-prio next feature :-)

I also verified the signatures (.asc) and hashes (.sha512)

I looked around in the src jar, and I was a bit unsure if the snippets
directory is supposed to be there. But that can be fixed later if it's not.
Nothing in it of concern.  Extra json license file, and some json data.

VSIX file itself seems to have the licenses and notices in it that it is
supposed to have.