Posted to dev@cayenne.apache.org by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org> on 2012/03/21 11:43:32 UTC

Cayenne QA

Adama's suggestion to help with Cayenne testing raises an interesting question - what is a useful way of "manually" testing Cayenne framework? I am taking "manually" in quotes as any such testing would involve writing Java apps.

On the one hand we have a pretty comprehensive suite of unit tests, on the other we have the mostly untested Modeler. ObjectStyle QA team is now experimenting with the Modeler testing and has already found a number of bugs. We'll load them to the Apache Jira at some point.

So between those two test efforts (unit tests and manual Modeler QA), is there anything else we can do to make sure we do not overlook any issues with Cayenne? My few ideas are:

* Testing cross-version upgrade procedures (i.e. checking whether our UPGRADE.txt instructions are adequate, and expanding them as needed)
* Checking Cayenne behavior in a real app accessed from multiple threads - both thread-safety and performance.

Thoughts on this?

Andrus

Re: Cayenne QA

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
> * Testing cross-version upgrade procedures (i.e. checking whether our UPGRADE.txt instructions are adequate, and expanding them as needed)
> * Checking Cayenne behavior in a real app accessed from multiple threads - both thread-safety and performance.

One more:

* Testing Cayenne behavior in web containers (specifically ensure that shutdown doesn't leave any stuck resources that would prevent webapp hot redeploy (see http://www.infoq.com/presentations/Diagnosing-Memory-Leaks for details).

Andrus