Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Peter Kovacs <Pe...@Apache.org> on 2018/11/11 16:36:14 UTC

starting 4.1.7 and 4.2.0 Releases

Hello all,

I suggest that we start right away with an Parallel development of 4.1.7
Release branch. I nominate Matthias to be release manager. Are you
willing to go on this?

And I suggest also to branch 4.2.0 from trunk. Jim you still available
to be the release manager on this branch? - Maybe we should branch from
the latest dev build version if we can find out and then check on the
commits.

I am not available at the moment for release manager. But it would be
good to continue, to be able to have release versions prepared.

All the best

Peter

Re: starting 4.1.7 and 4.2.0 Releases

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.
On 11/12/2018 4:34 PM, Matthias Seidel wrote:
> Hi Marcus,

>>> Back to 4.1.6: Is anyone already working on the Release Notes?
>>
>> compared to 4.1.5 [1] we have no other difference than the bugs that
>> are fixed and therefore only the list of bugs need to be changed, right?
>>
>> OK, beside version number, SVN rev number, etc. ;-)
>>
>> That would also mean we can re-use the translated release notes in an
>> easy way, right?
>
> Keith has already prepared a template, but in fact it would be easier to
> just copy the 4.1.5 Release Notes and update them accordingly.
>
> Regards,
>
>    Matthias
>

>> [1]
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1.5+Release+Notes
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Marcus

Please feel free do do whatever you want with the Release Notes. I
developed the Space Level Release Notes template for 2 specific reasons.
The first was to give some structure and consistency to the
documentation we publish for public consumption; the second was to give
a base structure with the boilerplate information already there so all
that is needed is to plug in the information specific to that that
release. I was planning on reviewing the base note tomorrow and adding
some of the needed information. If instead the consensus is jut to copy
the 4.1.5 notes over the base one I can do that tomorrow as well.

Regards
Keith

Re: starting 4.1.7 and 4.2.0 Releases

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Marcus,

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Peter,

Am 11.11.18 um 17:36 schrieb Peter Kovacs:
> Hello all,
>
> I suggest that we start right away with an Parallel development of 4.1.7
> Release branch. I nominate Matthias to be release manager. Are you
> willing to go on this?

Yes, after we have 4.1.6 out I will take a deep breath and branch 4.1.7
if nobody objects.

> And I suggest also to branch 4.2.0 from trunk. Jim you still available
> to be the release manager on this branch? - Maybe we should branch from
> the latest dev build version if we can find out and then check on the
> commits.

OK!

Trunk then has to be bumped up in version number?

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 12.11.18 um 14:39 schrieb Jim Jagielski:

>> On Nov 11, 2018, at 11:36 AM, Peter Kovacs <pe...@Apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> And I suggest also to branch 4.2.0 from trunk. Jim you still available
>> to be the release manager on this branch? - Maybe we should branch from
>> the latest dev build version if we can find out and then check on the
>> commits.
>
> That works for me. Anyone have any angst about me being RM for 4.2.0?

of course not, thanks for volunteering.

Marcus

Re: starting 4.1.7 and 4.2.0 Releases

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On 11/12/2018 05:39 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:

>> On Nov 11, 2018, at 11:36 AM, Peter Kovacs <pe...@Apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> And I suggest also to branch 4.2.0 from trunk. Jim you still available
>> to be the release manager on this branch? - Maybe we should branch from
>> the latest dev build version if we can find out and then check on the
>> commits.
> That works for me. Anyone have any angst about me being RM for 4.2.0?
No angst here!  :)

Re: starting 4.1.7 and 4.2.0 Releases

Posted by Mechtilde <oo...@mechtilde.de>.
Hello,

Am 12.11.18 um 14:39 schrieb Jim Jagielski:

>> On Nov 11, 2018, at 11:36 AM, Peter Kovacs <pe...@Apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> And I suggest also to branch 4.2.0 from trunk. Jim you still available
>> to be the release manager on this branch? - Maybe we should branch from
>> the latest dev build version if we can find out and then check on the
>> commits.
>
> That works for me. Anyone have any angst about me being RM for 4.2.0?

That's fine for me
--
Mechtilde Stehmann
## Apache OpenOffice

Re: starting 4.1.7 and 4.2.0 Releases

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Mechtilde <oo...@mechtilde.de>.
Hello

Am 11.11.18 um 17:36 schrieb Peter Kovacs:
> Hello all,
>
> I suggest that we start right away with an Parallel development of 4.1.7
> Release branch. I nominate Matthias to be release manager. Are you
> willing to go on this?
>
> And I suggest also to branch 4.2.0 from trunk. Jim you still available
> to be the release manager on this branch? - Maybe we should branch from
> the latest dev build version if we can find out and then check on the
> commits.

When the branch 4.2 is available I want to start preparing pootle for
the next translation round.

therefore I need help to create a new SDF template to update pootle.

Can someone help me.

Keind regards

Re: ***UNCHECKED*** Re: starting 4.1.7 and 4.2.0 Releases

Posted by Peter kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.
Okay I need to check.
4.1.5 delete as last step, check.

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Peter,

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.

> Am 13.11.18 um 08:04 schrieb Peter Kovacs:
>> Release is now in the svn branch.
>>
>> I remove tonight the 4.1.5 release, any objections?
>
> If you speak of
>
> https://www.apache.org/dist/openoffice/4.1.5/
>
> our project page [1] still points to it, so please wait until the page
> is updated after the final release...

+1

In general, it would be good to have a working release at hand in case
something is wrong with the new one and we need to do a (kind of) rollback.

Marcus

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Peter,

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Marcus,

Am 17.11.18 um 10:10 schrieb Marcus:
> Am 14.11.18 um 00:09 schrieb Marcus:
>> Am 13.11.18 um 08:04 schrieb Peter Kovacs:
>>> Release is now in the svn branch.
>>>
>>> I remove tonight the 4.1.5 release, any objections?
>>>
>>> So how much time do we need? is release date 16th November feasable?
>>
>> if there is no good reason against it, I would move this always to
>> the weekend, as I think the most people can spend more time for a
>> release than within the week with 1-2 hours in the evening.
>>
>> So, Saturday (btw, which time?) would fit better - at least for me
>> for the download website.
>
> what about the release now? Is it ready for offering on the download
> webpage?

As long as it concerns SourceForge, everything is uploaded in a staged
directory.

Maybe you want to have a look, as I did that for the first time...

Regards,

   Matthias

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Peter Kovacs <Pe...@Apache.org>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
If/When there is a need, I can do it.

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi all,

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Peter Kovacs <Pe...@Apache.org>.
Andrea,

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Marcus,

Am 14.11.18 um 00:09 schrieb Marcus:

>>> There is a major difference between a 4.1.x and a new release like
>>> 4.2.0: for 4.2.0 we need the entire community, not only what you call
>>> the "release team" and developers (read: localization efforts,
>>> organized QA efforts, a possible public beta, a baseline update...).
>>> If you believe that 4.2.0 is only for developers you are
>>> underestimating the task.

>>> We have many millions of users. We must provide some value with a
>>> release. This meant waiting 11 months (and counting) between 4.1.5 and
>>> 4.1.6; if 4.1.6 has no major regressions, we can surely wait some
>>> months before considering a 4.1.7 (again, in a non-emergency
>>> situation).
>>>
>>> But I would really like that we stop talking about this virtual 4.1.7
>>> release and actually release 4.1.6 for real.
>>
>> Peter wanted to move the Release from the dev to the release area soon.
>>
>> I have already created a staged directory at SourceForge, so we can
>> upload the binaries there.
>> After that I think Marcus can test his new scripts for the download
>> (test) page?
>
> sure, when the files are available I would like to test it.

I am in the process of uploading to SourceForge right now...

>> And as discussed before, we should simply copy the Release Notes from
>> 4.1.5 and update them for 4.1.6.
>
> If nobody else is volunteering I can do it.

+1 from me.

Matthias

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Peter Kovacs <Pe...@Apache.org>.
I do not see your issue. Our release team works much faster then the dev
team progresses on 4.2.0.

And to train releases is vital for us. 4.1.6 did not really bind any
developer, beyond security issues.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.

On 11/12/2018 2:49 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> On 11/11/2018 Peter Kovacs wrote:
>> I suggest that we start right away with an Parallel development of 4.1.7
>> Release branch.
>
> First, we'll have to officially release and announce 4.1.6.
>
> Then energy should really go to 4.2.0. Only if there are any outstanding
> bugs or regressions we should release a 4.1.7.
>
> I think that, unlike 4.2.0 that still requires lots of efforts, 4.1.x is
> so predictable that we could even have a defined process for it, like:
> - Early January 2019 (not earlier) we discuss whether it is desirable to
> have a 4.1.7
> - Late January 2019 we release 4.1.7 in case
> - Then everybody goes back to working on 4.2.0 for some time
> - Then we repeat in, say, April or even later.
>
> Otherwise we'll always risk to fit "yet another small fix" into 4.1.x
> instead of making progress on 4.2.0. The 4.1.x releases had the merit to
> expand the basis of potential Release Managers (a lot of people
> alternated in the Release Manager role and turn-over is a good thing),
> but we can't go on wasting energy on 4.1.x.
>
> But again: first, we'll have to officially release and announce 4.1.6.

The way I see it, we should be keeping 4.1.x for security fixes that
cannot wait until 4.2.0. As such, we may need to decide to release 4.1.7
at any time. It needs to be ready to go ASAP if a really serious
security bug shows up.

---
https://www.avg.com

Re: starting 4.1.7 and 4.2.0 Releases