Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "help@nantucket.net" <he...@nantucket.net> on 2005/12/06 18:34:39 UTC

Load issue

So a few times a day I end up having to stop my sendmail on my linux mail
server.  Here is the back story.  I was running 2.64, with procmail and
recently upgraded to 3.1.  I started the 3.1 with
/usr/bin/spamd -d -c -m10

Which works great, but I think the old spamassassin is still running because
when the 10 children get filled up, I start to get a ton of:
/usr/bin/spamc

Whats going on here?  2 versions running?  What do I do to get rid of the
spamc process, and keep it from spawning and then bringing my server to its
knees...

Re: Load issue

Posted by "help@nantucket.net" <he...@nantucket.net>.
I think I figured it out already.  Another helpful user explained that spamc
passes the info to spamd.  So it would stand to reason that if I have 10
spamd children (each sucking resources) then spamc is going to accept more
mail, and queue more mail and suck mor resources as you mention.  I lowered
the children to 5, and my problem has gone away.  I guess I will just ignore
the maillog warning about children and let it do its job like it should!

on 12/6/05 6:16 PM, JamesDR at rolaids0@bellsouth.net wrote:

> help@nantucket.net wrote:
>> So a few times a day I end up having to stop my sendmail on my linux mail
>> server.  Here is the back story.  I was running 2.64, with procmail and
>> recently upgraded to 3.1.  I started the 3.1 with
>> /usr/bin/spamd -d -c -m10
>>
>> Which works great, but I think the old spamassassin is still running because
>> when the 10 children get filled up, I start to get a ton of:
>> /usr/bin/spamc
>>
>> Whats going on here?  2 versions running?  What do I do to get rid of the
>> spamc process, and keep it from spawning and then bringing my server to its
>> knees...
>>

> Well, if in fact, your spamd is really busy, and it can't accept more
> connections, spamc may be waiting around to try again. I'm not 100%
> positive on the behavior of spamc (I use my own app to connect to spamd
> from 'doze.) The way mine works, is it will try again after a few
> seconds of waiting. This may be the cause here. One way to find out if
> you have more than one version is to search the system for all
> references to any spamd/c/assassin and check the versions. This is very
> tedious, but it gets the end result. If when you do /usr/bin/spamc -V
> what do you get? Along with /usr/bin/spamd -V and the same for
> spamassassin (where you have that installed also.) The do spamc -V,
> spamd -V, spamassassin -V and see what the system 'thinks' the path is
> to the programs.
>
> What you describe, to me, seems a normal action when all the connections
> are filled.
>

> Then again, I could be completely wrong :-D

____________________
The Help Guy
Nantucket.net
help@nantucket.net
www.nantucket.net/help
508-228-6777

Re: Load issue

Posted by JamesDR <ro...@bellsouth.net>.
help@nantucket.net wrote:
> So a few times a day I end up having to stop my sendmail on my linux mail
> server.  Here is the back story.  I was running 2.64, with procmail and
> recently upgraded to 3.1.  I started the 3.1 with
> /usr/bin/spamd -d -c -m10
>
> Which works great, but I think the old spamassassin is still running because
> when the 10 children get filled up, I start to get a ton of:
> /usr/bin/spamc
>
> Whats going on here?  2 versions running?  What do I do to get rid of the
> spamc process, and keep it from spawning and then bringing my server to its
> knees...

Well, if in fact, your spamd is really busy, and it can't accept more
connections, spamc may be waiting around to try again. I'm not 100%
positive on the behavior of spamc (I use my own app to connect to spamd
from 'doze.) The way mine works, is it will try again after a few
seconds of waiting. This may be the cause here. One way to find out if
you have more than one version is to search the system for all
references to any spamd/c/assassin and check the versions. This is very
tedious, but it gets the end result. If when you do /usr/bin/spamc -V
what do you get? Along with /usr/bin/spamd -V and the same for
spamassassin (where you have that installed also.) The do spamc -V,
spamd -V, spamassassin -V and see what the system 'thinks' the path is
to the programs.

What you describe, to me, seems a normal action when all the connections
are filled.

Then again, I could be completely wrong :-D
JamesDR