Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Ascensionwow <as...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/15 16:10:11 UTC

First timer

Bear with me, as it has been 7 years since I've used a mailing list like
this.

My question is very simple, and yet I can't seem to find an answer on it.

I have SpamAssassin sending emails flagged as spam to an email box setup as
my "spam folder." This allows me to double check that nothing legit is not
going through.

My question is whether i can have SpamAssassin automatically delete certain
Spam emails over a certain rating?

For instance, if I have my rating set at 4.0, I want spam that comes in at
10.0 to be deleted, and all emails that come in with a rating between 4.0and
10.0 to be sent to my spam folder. Is this possible? And how?

Thanks a bunch.

Re: First timer

Posted by Jim Maul <jm...@elih.org>.
Ascensionwow wrote:
> Bear with me, as it has been 7 years since I've used a mailing list like this.
>
> My question is very simple, and yet I can't seem to find an answer on it.
>
> I have SpamAssassin sending emails flagged as spam to an email box setup as my
> "spam folder." This allows me to double check that nothing legit is not going
> through.
>
> My question is whether i can have SpamAssassin automatically delete certain Spam
> emails over a certain rating?

SpamAssassin can not delete emails.  However.....

> For instance, if I have my rating set at 4.0, I want spam that comes in at 10.0
> to be deleted, and all emails that come in with a rating between 4.0 and 10.0 to
> be sent to my spam folder. Is this possible? And how?

this is possible using some other tool.  Whatever program you have
calling SA should be able to handle this.  Im using qmail
w/qmail-scanner which has this ability.  Check into whatever program you
are using to call SA.

-Jim

Re: First timer

Posted by Jason Self <ja...@gmail.com>.
SpamAssassin itself does not delete email; all it does is perform
certain tests on email messages that are passed through the program,
and based on the outcome of such tests, assign a numerical score to
the message.

You can use things such as procmail, your email client (or I believe
amavis as well) to delete messages that meet your criteria.

Re: First timer

Posted by "Expertsites, Inc." <sp...@expertsites.com>.

Best regards,
Tom & Denise
--
Expertsites, Inc.
Phone: 480-272-6063, Toll-Free: 800-355-9770

Expertsites LoanStar.net
Phone: 480-272-6063, Toll-Free: 800-355-9770
Fax: 480-272-6051, Toll-Free: 877-355-9770

EXPERTSITES and EXPERTSITES LOANSTAR.NET are federally registered trademarks belonging to Expertsites, Inc.

Re: First timer

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
> My question is whether i can have SpamAssassin automatically delete
certain Spam emails over a certain rating?

Nope.  All SA will do is classify the mail for you.

In fact, it won't even "route the spam to a spam box".  This is something an
outside program is doing, perhaps procmail.  That same program can quite
possibly delete mail based on score for you.

        Loren

Re: First timer

Posted by nick <ni...@mobilia.it>.
Ascensionwow wrote:
> Bear with me, as it has been 7 years since I've used a mailing list like
> this.
>
> My question is very simple, and yet I can't seem to find an answer on it.
>
> I have SpamAssassin sending emails flagged as spam to an email box setup
> as my "spam folder." This allows me to double check that nothing legit
> is not going through.
>
> My question is whether i can have SpamAssassin automatically delete
> certain Spam emails over a certain rating?
>
> For instance, if I have my rating set at 4.0, I want spam that comes in
> at 10.0 to be deleted, and all emails that come in with a rating between
> 4.0 and 10.0 to be sent to my spam folder. Is this possible? And how?
>
> Thanks a bunch.
It's not spamassassin that will do the deleting, but the program you use
to sort the mail into certain folders, usually procmail.

The answer is yes, you can do that.

Re: First timer

Posted by "Michele Neylon:: Blacknight.ie" <mi...@blacknight.ie>.

Have a look at MailScanner (http://www.mailscanner.info)

--
Mr Michele Neylon
Blacknight Solutions

Re: First timer

Posted by "Expertsites, Inc." <sp...@expertsites.com>.
Bear with me, as it has been 7 years since I've used a mailing list like
this.

My question is very simple, and yet I can't seem to find an answer on it.

I have SpamAssassin sending emails flagged as spam to an email box setup as
my "spam folder." This allows me to double check that nothing legit is not
going through.

My question is whether i can have SpamAssassin automatically delete certain
Spam emails over a certain rating?

For instance, if I have my rating set at 4.0, I want spam that comes in at
10.0 to be deleted, and all emails that come in with a rating between 4.0
and 10.0 to be sent to my spam folder. Is this possible? And how?

Thanks a bunch.

----------------------
I sent the previous blank reply by mistake.

I use cPanelX and Exim and filter the way you want to using an Exim Filter.

I have it installed in /etc/vfilters for my domain name instead of the
default blank file.

Following is a filter for deleting messages scored 10.0 or higher.  For your
setup, your SpamAssassin threshold score setting would remain at 4.0, and
the filter would handle the higher scoring messages by trashing them.  There
is no recovering deleted messages, so be sure this is what you want to do
with them!

# Exim filter

if error_message then finish endif

if
   $h_X-Spam-Status: begins "Yes"
then
#  Spam score 10 or higher
   if $h_X-Spam-Level: begins "\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*"
   then save "/dev/null" 660
   endif
endif

# this file is saved in /etc/vfilters and
# can be overwritten by cpanel mail filters

Tom Green
--
Expertsites, Inc.

RE: First timer

Posted by Jim Smith <ma...@blarneystone.com>.
If you use Procmail, after your spamassassin runs and marks up the headers,
use this, changing MAXSPAM value to whatever you want.
---------------------------
MAXSPAM=7
:0
{
  :0:
  * $ -${MAXSPAM}^0
  * $ ${MATCH}^0
  $HOME/spam

  :0:
  $HOME/maybespam
}

If it scores over 7 it goes to my spam folder which I automatically rotate
out every few days. Between my normal rating of 4 and 10, goes to a
"maybespam" folder that I glance at every few days. Everything else (below
the threshold) goes to my inbox. HTH.

Jim Smith