Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Anjib Mulepati <an...@hotmail.com> on 2011/09/22 18:49:06 UTC

Using tag

Hi All,

I have two question
1. regarding understanding <html:option>, <html:options> and
2. reloding option items after form validation fail.

I have agency bean with (ID, Name). I create list of agency as agencyList.
I have login page which have select/option box and it get value from the
DB. So my action class set that list in session variable
    session.setAttribute("agencyList", agencyList);
Login form itself have three attributes and getter/setter with
validation method
     private String agencyName;
     private String userName;
     private String password;
In JSP I am trying to use that list as follow
tabindex="1">
<logic:iterate id="agency" name="agencyList">
property="agencyName"/></html:option>
</logic:iterate>

This shows me the list but value is always "agencyId". Is there any easy
way so that I can read both 'id' and 'name' from bean and put in option
tag 'ID' as 'value' and 'name' as 'label'.
Couldn't fig out which one to use <html:option>, <html:options> and

Second problem is if my validation fail in this login page. I get blank
page due to null agencyList. So I am trying to fig out how to populate
the agencyList again after form validation fail.

Thanks

Re: Using tag

Posted by Carl Ballantyne <ca...@gmail.com>.
Hey Anjib,

1 - Check out the tablib docco (
http://struts.apache.org/2.x/docs/select.html). For example with html:select
you could use listKey and listValue. Should be something similar for
html:options. I always use html:select though as much less code for what I
need.
2 - Have your action implement Preparable. Then in the prepare method you
load the agency names.

Hope that helps.

Carl.