Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by xuan ngo <xu...@yahoo.ca> on 2007/08/15 23:38:52 UTC

Unable to create font metric file of Arial Unicode MS with fop 0.93

I was using my old metric file(fop 0.25) with fop 0.93
but fop 0.93 asked me to regenerate the metric file.
So I tried to generate the metric file for Arial
Unicode MS with fop 0.93 but it gives the error below.

Did I do something wrong?

Command executed:
==================
java -cp
build\fop.jar;lib\avalon-framework-4.2.0.jar;lib\xalan-2.7.0.jar;lib\xercesImpl-2.7.1.jar;lib\xml-apis-1.3.02.jar;lib\commons-logging-1.0.4.jar;lib\commons-io-1.1.jar
org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader
C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\ARIALUNI.TTF Arialuni.xml

Error Message returned:
==================
Parsing font...
Reading C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\ARIALUNI.TTF...
Number of glyphs in font: 51180
Error while building XML font metrics file.
java.io.EOFException: Reached EOF, file size=24131012
offset=24131012

      Get news delivered with the All new Yahoo! Mail.  Enjoy RSS feeds right on your Mail page. Start today at http://mrd.mail.yahoo.com/try_beta?.intl=ca

Re: Unable to create font metric file of Arial Unicode MS with fop 0.93

Posted by Abel Braaksma <ab...@xs4all.nl>.
xuan ngo wrote:
> I doubt that my file is corrupted. I'm able to the
> font in MS Word. The modified date on the font file is
> January 12, 1999, 8:59:20 AM.
>
> I did try with other font and it is processing without
> error.
>
> Do you know of other fonts that are supporting
> unicode?

Yes. Try wikipedia, search for unicode. This will bring you to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode_typefaces#List_of_Unicode_fonts

Note that "supporting unicode" is *always* just a part of Unicode. The
standard encompasses a whopping 98K+ characters and the font that has
most glyphs as of this writing is the free Code2000 (51K+ chars) closely
followed by Microsoft's New Gulim (46K+ chars), which is part of Office.

You'll probably need a font-analysis tool to find out whether your file
is really corrupted or not. It doesn't say much that an application can
access certain glyphs. Font metrics file creation accesses *all*
characters/glyphs and any mistake in the file may cause it to crash.

Anyway, I do not know enough about the internals of TTF to help you
found out whether the problem is in there or somewhere else.

Cheers,
-- Abel Braaksma

Re: Unable to create font metric file of Arial Unicode MS with fop 0.93

Posted by xuan ngo <xu...@yahoo.ca>.

      Make free worldwide PC-to-PC calls. Try the new Yahoo! Canada Messenger at http://ca.messenger.yahoo.com/

Re: Unable to create font metric file of Arial Unicode MS with fop 0.93

Posted by Abel Braaksma <ab...@xs4all.nl>.
 From the error, it seems that the converter is trying to read beyond