Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by James Wang <to...@yahoo.com> on 2002/09/13 08:58:47 UTC

can i write some java code in Velocity?

sometimes i want to write some java code in
Velocity,not in the portlet code,for example,
i got a object 'java.util.Date',and now i want
to get formatted date string from this object,

in java code,i can
  java.text.SimpleDateFormat sdf = new
      java.text.SimpleDateFormat("yyyy-MM-dd");
  String s = sdf.format(date);

in velocity, how can i do for $sdf.format($date)?
where can i get $sdf, do i have to init a new object
in portlet code and then put it into the context of
jetspeed?
   that mean i must do such thing in Module part of
MVC if i adopt Turbine/Jetspeed/Velocity.

but i think  the object ,SimpleDateFormat should be
initialized in Velocity,not in the java code of
Portlet.so i can make my code of Module simple.

maybe i dont master the MVC :(:)

any help would be appreciated!

Re: can i write some java code in Velocity?

Posted by Paul Spencer <pa...@apache.org>.
James,
Velocity is a template engine.  It does not support embedded Java.  If
you want to embed Java, then use JSP.  For more information on Velocity
see http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity

You can also extend the Velocity portlet to add Velocity context
variables which would be useable in you template.

Paul Spencer