Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Dong Wenyu <wy...@yahoo.com> on 2002/02/04 16:04:54 UTC

How to configure Tomcat 4.01 + Apache http server 1.3.19 work?

I have been confused for weeks about Tomcat 4.01 +
Apache http server 1.3.19.

1, Does Tomact 4.01 alone support servlet already?
Does it necessary to install JServ in addition as the
case with Tomcat 3.x?

2, Many books recommend the configuration of Tomcat +
pache http server. Does it make any sense? Couldn't
Tomcat 4.01 alone serve as a http server?

3, Anyone would give me instructions to connect Tomcat
4.01 + Apache http server 1.3.19 ?  Or is there
webpages to find them?

Thank you very much in advance.

sincerely,
Dong Wenyu

RE: How to configure Tomcat 4.01 + Apache http server 1.3.19 work?

Posted by Loïc Lefèvre <ll...@fivia.com>.
1. Yes, Tomcat is a servlet container and thus supports
servlet (spec. 2.3). No, it is not necessary to install
JServ but JServ and Tomcat can work together
(no problem with the mod_webapp connector).

2. Yes it makes sense since Apache can distribute static
files faster than Tomcat. Apache has also modules that
can help you (mod_rewrite, mod_php...). But tomcat 4.01
can work *alone* as an HTTP server (port 80, see server.xml).

3. For windows, check the archive:
http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/release/v4.0.1/bin/win32
/webapp-module-1.0-tc40-windows.zip
Inside, there is a file 'INSTALL.TXT' which explains how to connect
the mod_webapp connector under Linux and windows.
For Linux, check for the following archive:
http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/release/v4.0.1/bin/linux
/i386/webapp-module-1.0-tc40-linux-glibc2.2.tar.gz

Good luck
Loïc Lefèvre