Posted to users@sling.apache.org by "Phillpotts, James" <Ja...@experian.com> on 2012/08/16 16:18:31 UTC

How to package an update

Hi all,

I'm trying to understand what I need to do in order for an updated bundle to be installed in a new version of our application. I've looked at the OSGi Installer docs [1], and it would seem that what I'm doing ought to work, but unfortunately it is not.

I've got a multi-module maven pom that builds a few bundles and packages them - rough structure:

multi-module-app
  |- app
       |- pom.xml
  |- bundles
       |- list.xml
       |- reactor.drl
  |- content
       |- src...
       |- pom.xml
  |- jsp-support
       |- src...
       |- pom.xml
  |- pom.xml

The list.xml lists a number of sling bundles where fixes exist more recent to launchpad v6, and our 2 bundles (content & jsp-support). The app module declares plugins to produce a .war and -standalone.jar, referring to ${basedir}/../bundles/list.xml, and using the reactor.drl rules (similar to the example in the sling launchpad/testing project) to update the versions of our bundles to the versions in the reactor.

So I do a build of version 1.0.0-SNAPSHOT and run the -standalone.jar, then make a change to some of the content. If at this point I just do a re-build (mvn clean package) and run the new -standalone.jar, nothing has changed - I assume this is because the version hasn't changed so nothing is updated - despite the Versions and Snapshots section in [1], which suggests that because it's a -SNAPSHOT version, it will always be updated.

Now I do a maven release (for testing, I'm doing mvn release:update-versions) which updates the version throughout to 1.0.1-SNAPSHOT. I then rebuild and run the new -standalone.jar, which contains content-1.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar and jsp-support-1.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar - still no change to the content. If I look in the bundles list in the system console it is still showing 1.0.0.SNAPSHOT. From my understanding of [1], supplying a new version of the bundle should cause an update to happen?

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Cheers,
James

PS, the version of most of the bundles is as per launchpad v6 - I've noticed that installer.core is now at v3.3.6, whereas the version we have is v3.1.2 so perhaps that needs updating?

[1] http://sling.apache.org/site/osgi-installer.html

--

Information in this e-mail and any attachments is confidential, and may not be copied or used by anyone other than the addressee, nor disclosed to any third party without our permission. There is no intention to create any legally binding contract or other binding commitment through the use of this electronic communication unless it is issued in accordance with the Experian Limited standard terms and conditions of purchase or other express written agreement between Experian Limited and the recipient. Although Experian has taken reasonable steps to ensure that this communication and any attachments are free from computer virus, you are advised to take your own steps to ensure that they are actually virus free.

Companies Act information: Registered name: Experian Limited. Registered office: Landmark House, Experian Way, NG2 Business Park, Nottingham, NG80 1ZZ, United Kingdom. Place of registration: England and Wales. Registered number: 653331