Posted to dev@phoenix.apache.org by James Taylor <ja...@apache.org> on 2014/03/13 23:24:27 UTC

change master pom.xml to be 5.0.0-SNAPSHOT?

I'd like to propose that we update the version used in the pom.xml in
master to be 5.0.0-SNAPSHOT. There are some potentially big-ish features
that we'd likely need to introduce in a new major release, such as using
the new type system that was introduced in HBase, and these would likely
live in master (or a feature branch off of master).

For 3.0 and 4.0 post-release feature work, I was thinking we could branch
off of these respective branches.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
James

Re: change master pom.xml to be 5.0.0-SNAPSHOT?

Posted by Jesse Yates <je...@gmail.com>.
I'd expect we could do future 4.X releases off the 4.0 without too much
confusion (which makes it a little odd to call the branch 4.0, but meh).

On the other hand, until we want to have some incompatible change in main,
we could just keep it as 4.1.0-SNAPSHOT.

Depends if you want to do full semantic versioning; even if so, we could
keep the current number to help cut down on the number of branches we would
need to commit to. Then we could have a vote for cutting a new branch (5.0,
and bumping master to 5.1) when we need to have a breaking/incompatible
change.

Jesse Yates
@jesse_yates
jyates.github.com