Posted to dev@sis.apache.org by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.fr> on 2013/03/06 10:00:44 UTC

Massive commit ahead

Hello all

In maybe 2 or 3 days, I will hopefully be able to commit the metadata
classes that implements the org.opengis.metadata interface. However
because of cross-dependencies, it would be tedious to commit the class
one-by-one. Is there any objection if I commit them in one big bunch? It
would be about 150 classes in a single commit...

     Martin

Re: Massive commit ahead

Posted by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.fr>.
Hello Adam

Le 10/03/13 05:24, Adam Estrada a écrit :
> I am excited to see these commits come rolling in. I did start adding some content to the wiki last year but we didn't necessarily have a clear roadmap in mind at that time. Honestly, I didn't know what you were going to be adding at the time. Just keep us informed of what is going on so that I can include the details in the board reports and whatnot.

Sure. In fact, I committed a little bit more than what is strictly
necessary for metadata. The org.apache.sis.measure.Range class is a good
example. Metadata just needs a container for minimum and maximum values;
it doesn't need all those 'union', 'intersect' and similar operations.
But Range is going to play a much more important role in the coverage
module, which will need those operations. I think it was easier to
commit the complete Range class since we were on it, than filtering the
parts needed by metadata and expand later.

As for SIS 0.3, I think that the "success metric" informing us when SIS
is ready for a release could be to parse a relatively big ISO 19139
compliant XML document, edit some metadata values, then write back the
XML document with minimal information lost. Information lost that we may
tolerate for SIS 0.3 release may be:

  * Coordinate Reference Systems (will need the sis-referencing module)
  * Temporal information (also related to sis-referencing module)
  * Geometries (will need the sis-geometry module)
  * XML comments (some said that comments must be preserved - I'm not
    sure yet how to handle that)

For everything else, information lost should be either considered as a
bug, or be added to the above list.

     Martin

Re: Massive commit ahead

Posted by Adam Estrada <es...@gmail.com>.
Martin,

I am excited to see these commits come rolling in. I did start adding some content to the wiki last year but we didn't necessarily have a clear roadmap in mind at that time. Honestly, I didn't know what you were going to be adding at the time. Just keep us informed of what is going on so that I can include the details in the board reports and whatnot.

Thanks again!
Adam

Re: Massive commit ahead

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.