Posted to users-cn@cloudstack.apache.org by Parth Patel <pa...@gmail.com> on 2018/02/24 17:14:10 UTC

HA-enabled VM not starting or migrating to another host if current host goes down

Hi,

I am developing an enterprise-level cloud infrastructure currently using
Cloudstack 4.9. My head of department wished to check a specific failsafe
scenario. It is as follows:

A highly available VM whose continuous execution even in event of some
storage or connection error, should remain running or migrate to another
host automatically if anything were to happen to the current host. I tried
removing the LAN cable from the current host after an HA-enabled VM was
executing on it, but the management server would not auto-start the VM on
another host. It kept printing error messages such as "Communication
failure. Host 5 timed out due to even PingTimeout" in management server
logs. I have manually set the ping timeout duration to 30 seconds and its
multiplier value to 1.

Any suggestions as to what extra configuration is needed to make Cloudstack
start the VM on another host or migrate it?

Just to be clear, the host on which the HA-enabled VM is running does not
have its primary and secondary storage added to the management server, so
the primary and secondary storage disks on NFS shares are already available
to the management server if it decides to start the instance on another
suitable host (of which there are 2).

I tried searching some feature like this in Cloudstack administration docs
but could not find anything fitting to this scenario.

Regards,
Parth Patel

Re: HA-enabled VM not starting or migrating to another host if current host goes down

Posted by abhisek basu <ab...@msn.com>.
Hello Parth,

Did you test if the VM can be manually moved to "Host 5"? Please let me know.

Regards,

Abhisek

Sent from my iPhone