Posted to user@lucenenet.apache.org by Ptsiridis <pt...@nortech.gr> on 2015/09/26 16:54:18 UTC

Lucene .NET Scoring Problem

I am developing a website using Kentico 8.2 CMS and i have a problem with the search results. Kentico's Smart Search is based on Lucene .NET 3.0.3. To be more specific the problem is located when i am searching a word using the (*) wildcard. For example if i search "mobil*" the results are the expected but they are all rated as fully relevant and the sorting is based on some other parameter. I have already used luke tool to investigate further and I have also contacted Kentico but they told me that their CMS just returns the relevancy which is computed by Lucene engine. Can you tell me why is this happening ? Lucene does not support sorting when searching using a wildcard ? What can i do to fix it ?

Please check the attached screenshot 1 for reference.
Thank you for your time.

Re: Lucene .NET Scoring Problem

Posted by Simon Svensson <si...@devhost.se>.
Hi,

Your screenshot did not survive the mailing list.

Well, what's more relevant; "mobile phones" or "troop mobilization"?
Wildcard queries return a constant score (unless changed) since Lucene
does not employ mind reading (yet...)

How would you expect the results to be sorted? Are you also including
any other terms ("troop mobil*") where mobile phones are ranked too high
in the result?

Lucene.NET has many extension points; if you can modify the searching
code (which I guess is hidden in the source of Kentico) then you will be
able to change the sorting logic.

// Simon