Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Carl Marcum <cm...@apache.org> on 2021/06/08 14:08:41 UTC

sharing "installed" builds for Linux testing

Hi All,

Would sharing the "installed" type builds work for Linux testing of
small changes as long as the architecture was the same?
That way Linux testers wouldn't need to integrate with the system
similar to Windows users having the option of an administrative install.

I've tested sharing a build from CentOS 7  to Ubuntu 18 and CentOS 8
without any noticeable issues.
It seems the user profile is kept in a sub-directory so I like that also.

I didn't know if this had been tried before or if there is a downside.

After a build I copy the office out to a new directory and then copy the
SDK into it.

$ mkdir <path-to-new-dir>/AOO450
$ cp -r <path-to-source-dir>/openoffice/main/instsetoo_native/unxlngx6.pro/Apache_OpenOffice/installed/install/en-US/openoffice4 <path-to-new-dir>/AOO450/
$ cp -r <path-to-source-dir>/openoffice/main/instsetoo_native/unxlngx6.pro/Apache_OpenOffice_SDK/installed/install/en-US/openoffice4/sdk <path-to-new-dir>/AOO450/openoffice4/

Then the openoffice4 dir gets archived from there.
Users could unpack and test then delete.

Thanks,
Carl

Re: sharing "installed" builds for Linux testing

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.
On 2021-06-11 13:49, Carl Marcum wrote:
> Hi Keith,
>
> On 6/11/21 11:09 AM, Keith N. McKenna wrote:
>> On 2021-06-08 10:08, Carl Marcum wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Would sharing the "installed" type builds work for Linux testing of
>>> small changes as long as the architecture was the same?
>>> That way Linux testers wouldn't need to integrate with the system
>>> similar to Windows users having the option of an administrative install.
>>>
>>> I've tested sharing a build from CentOS 7  to Ubuntu 18 and CentOS 8
>>> without any noticeable issues.
>>> It seems the user profile is kept in a sub-directory so I like that
>>> also.
>>>
>>> I didn't know if this had been tried before or if there is a downside.
>>>
>>> After a build I copy the office out to a new directory and then copy the
>>> SDK into it.
>>>
>>> $ mkdir <path-to-new-dir>/AOO450
>>> $ cp -r
>>> <path-to-source-dir>/openoffice/main/instsetoo_native/unxlngx6.pro/Apache_OpenOffice/installed/install/en-US/openoffice4
>>>
>>> <path-to-new-dir>/AOO450/
>>> $ cp -r
>>> <path-to-source-dir>/openoffice/main/instsetoo_native/unxlngx6.pro/Apache_OpenOffice_SDK/installed/install/en-US/openoffice4/sdk
>>>
>>> <path-to-new-dir>/AOO450/openoffice4/
>>>
>>> Then the openoffice4 dir gets archived from there.
>>> Users could unpack and test then delete.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Carl
>> Carl, ET AL;
>>
>> There is this mwiki page for doing just what you are asking:
>> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Run_OOo_versions_parallel#Installing_3..2A_versions_.28three_layer_OpenOffice.org.29.
>>
>> It is marked as outdated and may need some updating. As I do not use
>> Linux I have never tried it myself.
>>
>> Regards
>> Keith
>>
> Thanks for the link. I haven't ran across this before.
>
> Actually when you build with config option --with-package-format
> "installed" instead of "rpm deb" you get the directory layout and
> embedded user profile without all that work.
> That's what I suggest building and sharing for quick testing.
>
> Thanks again.
> Carl

Hi Carl;

I mention the link as I prefer to run builds other than the GA Release
without linking it to my release profile. That way if there is a
problem, I can just delete the test or dev build folder and gone.

Regards
Keith

Regards

Re: sharing "installed" builds for Linux testing

Posted by Carl Marcum <cm...@apache.org>.
Hi Keith,

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Yury Tarasievich <yu...@gmail.com>.
On 11/06/21 20:52, Carl Marcum wrote:
>> If need be I create shell script with
>> alternate config directory specification:
>>
>> -env:UserInstallation=file:///home/you/.openoffice/4
>>
> Is this for an alternate user profile?
>
> Is this passed at startup?

Yes and yes.
Pity this trick has (had?) to be hounded out in
forums and such. There is (was?) no clear
mention of this in the documentation.

-Yury

Re: sharing "installed" builds for Linux testing

Posted by Carl Marcum <cm...@apache.org>.
Hi Yury!

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 08.06.21 um 16:08 schrieb Carl Marcum:
> Would sharing the "installed" type builds work for Linux testing of
> small changes as long as the architecture was the same?
> That way Linux testers wouldn't need to integrate with the system
> similar to Windows users having the option of an administrative install.
>
> I've tested sharing a build from CentOS 7  to Ubuntu 18 and CentOS 8
> without any noticeable issues.

I would prefer this method of installation. It's faster and - the main
point - not that system-integrated.

As long as we don't need to test any system or installation issues I
would like to test this way.

Marcus