Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com> on 2012/01/31 06:34:39 UTC

Proposal to close the Vietnamese Language User Forum

Hi,

I was poked by one of the folks on the forums today with regards to the
Vietnamese Language site.

The site has been left without any native language supporters for quite
a while and is once again sprouting a nice growth of SPAM, with no real
usage by end users, at least not that I an see.

I would like to propose the following - barring any strong objections of
couse:

In the morning I'll start cleaning up the spam.

On Feb 2nd will take the following steps:

- Post a global announcement on the forum directly future requests for
help to the English language forum.

- Disable the ability to register new accounts.

- Lock all lists on the forum.

This will effectively close the forum.
/////

The same proposal was posted to the Forum Governance board on the
English form a few minutes ago.

Best wishes,

Drew Jensen

Re: Proposal to close the Vietnamese Language User Forum

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.
To follow up on this.

Locked the forum down a few minutes ago.

Failed to get a Vi translation of the shutdown notice so went with both
English and French.
- included a call for anyone interested in helping revive the site,
along with a link to the forum admin board as a way to start the
process.

//drew

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <ls...@gmail.com>.
On 31 January 2012 13:26, drew <dr...@baseanswers.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-01-31 at 01:07 -0500, Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:
>> Hi,

>> > Yes more then once with no response.
>> >
>> > Honestly though, the 3rd party libO forum with a VI section really isn't
>> > taking off either, nor is the mailing list traffic for that matter.
>> >
>> > Hope springs eternal however and is why I propose locking it for now,
>> > rather then just taking it down, at least for a while longer.
>>
>> Agree. I'd also like to reach out again to VT. The reason why V. and
>> others gave for LO was that they had more positive response there than
>> with Oracle's OOo. What a surprise. But as the new world is a gooder
>> world, and in this nascent place there is no end of future, Why not?
>> Ciao
> Hi Louis, et all
>
> That's great if you want to try and reach out again.
>
> quick notes:
>
> 1 - no one should construe that this has anything at all to do with
> Oracle or ASF or LibreOffice - the issues are long standing.
>
> 2 - Floris V (AKA Peter) jumped in this morning and cleaned the site up
> - much appreciated.
>
> I'll be drafting the shutdown notice for display at the site tonight and
> passing it along for review to the folks on the Admin board at the
> forums. If there is anyone that could handle a translation of that from
> English to Vietnamese it would be appreciated, if not will just go with
> the English version.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> //drew

double plus agreed.
Louis

Re: Proposal to close the Vietnamese Language User Forum

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.

Posted by Donald Whytock <dw...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 1:07 AM, Louis Suárez-Potts
<ls...@gmail.com> wrote:

> But as the new world is a gooder
> world, and in this nascent place there is no end of future, Why not?

Okay.  I'm putting that up on my wall.

Don

Re: Proposal to close the Vietnamese Language User Forum

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <ls...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <ls...@gmail.com>.