Posted to users@camel.apache.org by rgavlin <rg...@yahoo.com> on 2009/01/18 13:45:09 UTC

Using Camel Throttler with an in-out MEP

I have an endpoint that accepts an in-out MEP. I would like to throttle the
number of exchanges it is processing at any one time.

Would it make sense to enhance the Camel Throttler to support this use case?
>From the Camel Throttler's perspective, it would be controlling the number
of "outstanding" in-out exchanges it has with its target endpoint at any one
time.

This seems significantly different than the current maximumRequestsPerPeriod
mechanism which seems to strictly focus on the in-only MEP use case.

What are your thoughts?

/Ron

Re: Using Camel Throttler with an in-out MEP

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Can you not add a 2nd throttler? on the other side? I guess its not
what you are asking for :)
from(x).throttle(10/sec).to(some webservice).thorttle(5/sec).to(other service)

But if you are talking about throttling the response that is returned
in from(x) when using InOut.
Why should they have a different SLA than the inbound throtteling?

But please give it a go. We love contributions.
http://activemq.apache.org/camel/contributing.html

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 1:45 PM, rgavlin <rg...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have an endpoint that accepts an in-out MEP. I would like to throttle the
> number of exchanges it is processing at any one time.
>
> Would it make sense to enhance the Camel Throttler to support this use case?
> From the Camel Throttler's perspective, it would be controlling the number
> of "outstanding" in-out exchanges it has with its target endpoint at any one
> time.
>
> This seems significantly different than the current maximumRequestsPerPeriod
> mechanism which seems to strictly focus on the in-only MEP use case.
>
> What are your thoughts?
>
> /Ron

Claus Ibsen
Apache Camel Committer