Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Per Jessen <pe...@computer.org> on 2007/12/29 18:17:07 UTC

Re: Ip::Country::Fast performance (was: blackholes.us?)

Matt Kettler wrote:

> When compared to someone using zone transfers, it's still likely to be
> marginally faster because the Ip::Country::Fast code and database are
> both optimized for doing this kind of query very quickly.

You're right - I ran some tests, and Ip::Country::Fast is not just
marginally faster, it's up to 10 times faster than doing local DNS
lookups:

On a relatively low-end machine (Athlon 1.2GHz, 768M RAM):

Ip::Country::Fast - 66000 lookups took 8sec, 839000 lookups took 73sec.
local DNS lookup (php) - 66000 lookups = 85sec, 839000 lookups took
25min

/Per Jessen, Zürich