Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com> on 2008/07/25 16:31:21 UTC

Re: JSecurity name "collisions"

Being around for three years and not having anyone contact the project
will not be good enough, although it is promising.  The Incubator
status template makes a reference to www.nameprotect.com, but I am not
sure how we go about the search and what is the criteria to pass this
check.

Can anyone from legal comment?  (Please reply to all)

Regards,
Alan

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 12:22 AM, Alan D. Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com> wrote:
> I haven't heard anything from legal.

The division of responsibilities here is a bit confusing.

Expertise on name selection and inbound IP clearance is found in the
incubator.  This includes existing projects.  From a legal
perspective, certainly don't be provocative, and when possible be risk
adverse.  Neither of these apply to your situation: you have a
preexisting name that to date has not been challenged.

Enforcement of our marks falls to the PRC.  They would be the ones to
decide if registering a trademark is desirable.

- Sam Ruby

Re: JSecurity name "collisions"

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
On Jul 25, 2008, at 7:31 AM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

> Being around for three years and not having anyone contact the
> project will not be good enough, although it is promising.  The
> Incubator status template makes a reference to www.nameprotect.com,
> but I am not sure how we go about the search and what is the
> criteria to pass this check.

Last I checked (a year ago) this was an obsolete reference.

> Can anyone from legal comment?  (Please reply to all)

The name checks I've run for other podlings have been a google search
and analysis of the first few hundred hits.

Craig

> Regards,
> Alan
>

> On Jul 25, 2008, at 6:15 AM, Les Hazlewood wrote:
>
>> Yep, we've seen these before, but the good thing is that they're
>> not related
>> in form or function to our project so there shouldn't be any legal
>> conflict
>> at least (IANAL, but I think that's the case).  Since the joomla
>> product has
>> been renamed, I don't think there's any issue there.  Also the
>> juniper
>> product is named slightly different to J - dash - Security, so
>> they're not
>> an exact overlap.  This coupled with the different target of their
>> focus
>> (totally different than ours), I think that makes things 'safe'.
>>
>> Plus in the last 3 or so years, I'm sure they've seen us (just do
>> any search
>> engine lookup for 'jsecurity' and we're always number one), but no
>> one has
>> ever contacted us about naming conflicts.  I'm fairly sure they
>> don't care -
>> if they would have, they'd have said something by now...
>>
>> At least that's my take on it :)
>>
>> I wonder if should investigate purchasing a registered trademark
>> just in
>> case...
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 2:17 AM, Alan D. Cabrera <list@toolazydogs.com
>> >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I searched on Google and found these companies using the JSecurity
>>> name:
>>>

>>> http://www.juniper.net/security/index.html?from=HomePage-Header-to-JSecurity
>>> http://joomlaequipment.com/content/view/1/4/
>>>
>>> The latter looks like the JSecurity product got absorbed into a
>>> product
>>> called JDefender.  We'll probably need to do a more thorough search.
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>> Alan

Craig L Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com