Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Alec Smecher <al...@praxistech.com> on 2001/10/09 20:14:50 UTC

Batik status

Hi all,

I'm curious about Batik's status - I notice that the "Status" page
(xml.apache.org/batik/status.html) hasn't changed for some time. Are
Batik's dynamic components under development?

Thanks,
Alec Smecher
alecs@praxistech.com

Re: Batik 1.1 RC2 Rasterizer - Bug?

Posted by Thierry Kormann <tk...@ilog.fr>.
On Friday 19 October 2001 16:35, Christian Schneider wrote:
> Hello,
>
> is this a Bug in the Batik Rasterizer 1.1 RC2 ?
>
> When using the tspan-Tag to render Text with offset values (here see the
> dy-attribute) which is set to "1em" meaning it should render the text one
> "em" lower than normal text. This seems to be ignored by the Rasterizer
>
>   <g fill="black" font-size="13px" font-weight="bold">
>   </g>

This bug has been fixed. The current CVS codebase has a patch.

Thanks for your feedback.

Regards,
Thierry.

Batik 1.1 RC2 Rasterizer - Bug?

Re: Batik status

Posted by Vincent Hardy <vi...@sun.com>.
Tom,

tom poe wrote:

> Hi, Alec:  My guess is, that with the question of whether the standards are
> based on patents, and whether the patent policy issues will be resolved, the
> forward progress has slowed for the moment.  At some point, if the W3C.org
> patent policy is instituted, that organization dries up as just a proprietary
> workshop to promote private industry.

I think this is very unfair to characterize the work of the W3C this
way. I think that the answers the W3C has posted at:

http://www.w3.org/2001/10/patent-response

answered the comments you have made earlier on this list and I am
not sure why you are describing things this way.

It is harder to try to understand a situation rationally than it
is to cry wolf or to blame this or that based on poor information.

But I think trying to understand is rewarding. For example, see:

http://www.w3.org/2001/10/patent-response#goals
and:
http://www.w3.org/2001/10/patent-response#common

Regards,
Vincent.

Re: Batik status

Posted by tom poe <to...@renonevada.net>.
On Tuesday 09 October 2001 11:14, you wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm curious about Batik's status - I notice that the "Status" page
> (xml.apache.org/batik/status.html) hasn't changed for some time. Are
> Batik's dynamic components under development?
>
> Thanks,
> Alec Smecher
> alecs@praxistech.com

Hi, Alec:  My guess is, that with the question of whether the standards are
based on patents, and whether the patent policy issues will be resolved, the
forward progress has slowed for the moment.  At some point, if the W3C.org
patent policy is instituted, that organization dries up as just a proprietary
workshop to promote private industry.  Another, Open Standards organization
will pop up, clean up the Batik/SVG issues, and soon we'll have dynamic
component work again.  What's your feeling?  Thanks, Tom

Re: Batik status

Posted by Vincent Hardy <vi...@sun.com>.
Alec,

Alec Smecher wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm curious about Batik's status - I notice that the "Status" page
> (xml.apache.org/batik/status.html) hasn't changed for some time. Are
> Batik's dynamic components under development?

The status page shows the current status of the Batik code with
regards to the SVG test suite. This has not changed for some time.

As for the dynamic components, I think active development will start
in about a month, a month and a half from now.

Vincent.