Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net> on 2011/04/07 20:08:04 UTC

Trouble with jdbc drivers in TC 7

System:  Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard (64-bit)
JRE:  1.6.0_24 x64
TC:  7.0.11, installed in c:\Program Files\..., so it detected an x64
installation
DB:  Sybase ASA 9.0.2.3951, x64 version

DB server and TC are both installed on this same machine.

I'm trying to port my app from tc 5.5.something late, to 7.0, and can't
get my app to find the driver class.  It all works fine under TC 5.5.

All my database pooling is done in the application, so I thought putting
the jodbc.jar in the WEB-INF/lib of the app would work with no need to
edit my configuration files, but I'm still getting the class not found
error below.  I have also tried moving jodbc.jar to %catalina_home%/lib,
but that didn't help either.

RtData64 is the 64-bit ODBC DSN, which test ok in ODBC admin.  I have
opened jodbc.jar to be sure it has ianywhere.ml.jdbcodbc.IDriver inside it.

Am I missing some configuration requirements?  I can't find anything in
the online docs that would indicate I need to do anything, since I'm not
having TC handle the connection pooling.

Dave

Thu Apr 07 12:09:56 EDT 2011:  Exception in class:
com.wra.websira.WraAdmin, Msg: 'Initialization', Exception:
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: ianywhere.ml.jdbcodbc.IDriver
Thu Apr 07 12:09:56 EDT 2011:  Exception in class:
com.wra.websira.WraJdbc, Msg: 'Creating database: RtData64', Exception:
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: ianywhere.ml.jdbcodbc.IDriver
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: ianywhere.ml.jdbcodbc.IDriver
	at
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1676)
	at
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1521)
	at com.wra.websira.WraDatabase.open(WraDatabase.java:64)
	at com.wra.websira.WraJdbc.<init>(WraJdbc.java:46)
	at com.wra.websira.WraAdmin.init(WraAdmin.java:257)
	at com.wra.websira.WraAdmin.validateUser(WraAdmin.java:594)
	at com.wra.websira.WraAdmin.validateUser(WraAdmin.java:451)
	at eddsrv.LoginBean.verifyUser(LoginBean.java:41)
	at org.apache.jsp.Login_jsp._jspService(Login_jsp.java:144)
	at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:70)
	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:722)
	at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:419)
	at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:391)
	at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:334)
	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:722)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:304)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:210)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:240)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:164)
	at
org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:498)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:164)
	at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:100)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:118)
	at
org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:394)
	at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProcessor.process(Http11AprProcessor.java:284)
	at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProtocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11AprProtocol.java:322)
	at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AprEndpoint$SocketProcessor.run(AprEndpoint.java:1714)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Re: Trouble with jdbc drivers in TC 7 - fixed

Posted by David Kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.
> 2011/4/8 David Kerber<dc...@verizon.net>:
>>> Congratulations.
>>>
>>> Were the messages clear enough, or maybe something may need improving
>>> there?
>> The error message was fine, once I actually saw it.  It was just quite a
>> ways up the log file from the final exception that I originally posted.
>>   Once I saw the startup error, it's obvious that the CNFE was just a
>> cascading error from the root problem.
>>
>> The only thing I question is whether java.util.zip might be too picky, and
>> failing to open .jar files that could have actually been usable.  Windows
>> had no trouble unzipping the .jar.  That's obviously an Oracle issue,
>> though, and not a Tomcat one.
>>
> If a jar is truncated I wouldn't call it useful, and it is better to fail early.
>

> IIRC,in zip format there is header for each zipped entry, plus a
> master index at the end.
> Reading the archive sequentially vs. accessing a random file will be
> implemented differently.  And it looks as if Windows integrated
> support of zip files is loose in error handling. (A thing to beware if
> anyone will encounter the same issue as you did).
Windows is well known to have issues in its .zip handling, especially
with large files.  I have seen many times where windows would demand a
password for a .zip file, when one was not actually required.  Switching
to a real unzipper like 7zip or equivalent fixed the problem.

Re: Trouble with jdbc drivers in TC 7 - fixed

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2011/4/8 David Kerber <dc...@verizon.net>:
> On 4/7/2011 5:57 PM, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
>>
>> 2011/4/8 David kerber<dc...@verizon.net>:
>>>
>>> To close this loop, I got it fixed.  The issue was a (apparently very
>>> slightly) corrupt jodbc.jar file.  I say very slightly because I could
>>> open
>>> it with windows explorer's .zip handling functionality and everything
>>> looked
>>> fine, but tomcat choked on it when trying to open it with java.util.zip.
>>>  Tomcat was throwing exceptions at startup, but they were quite a bit
>>> further up in the log from the one I posted here, and I didn't see them
>>> for
>>> the longest time.
>>
>> Congratulations.
>>
>> Were the messages clear enough, or maybe something may need improving
>> there?
>
> The error message was fine, once I actually saw it.  It was just quite a
> ways up the log file from the final exception that I originally posted.
>  Once I saw the startup error, it's obvious that the CNFE was just a
> cascading error from the root problem.
>
> The only thing I question is whether java.util.zip might be too picky, and
> failing to open .jar files that could have actually been usable.  Windows
> had no trouble unzipping the .jar.  That's obviously an Oracle issue,
> though, and not a Tomcat one.

If a jar is truncated I wouldn't call it useful, and it is better to fail early.

IIRC,in zip format there is header for each zipped entry, plus a
master index at the end.
Reading the archive sequentially vs. accessing a random file will be
implemented differently.  And it looks as if Windows integrated
support of zip files is loose in error handling. (A thing to beware if
anyone will encounter the same issue as you did).

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: Trouble with jdbc drivers in TC 7 - fixed

Posted by David Kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2011/4/8 David kerber <dc...@verizon.net>:
> To close this loop, I got it fixed.  The issue was a (apparently very
> slightly) corrupt jodbc.jar file.  I say very slightly because I could open
> it with windows explorer's .zip handling functionality and everything looked
> fine, but tomcat choked on it when trying to open it with java.util.zip.
>  Tomcat was throwing exceptions at startup, but they were quite a bit
> further up in the log from the one I posted here, and I didn't see them for
> the longest time.

Congratulations.

Were the messages clear enough, or maybe something may need improving there?

> The CNFE was due to the .jar containing the class not being opened because
> of the unzipping error.  Reinstalling the software update got me a good .jar
> file, and now it all works.
>
> Thanks for your patience!

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: Trouble with jdbc drivers in TC 7 - fixed

Posted by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.

Posted by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.
The config has changed from

Posted by Rainer Frey <ra...@inxmail.de>.
On Thursday 07 April 2011 22:17:22 Christopher Schultz wrote:

> >> Could you be missing a shared
> >> library from your java.library.path? Sometimes, missing shared libs can
> >> cause CNFEs.
> >
> > The folder where the .dlls are located is on the windows %path%.  Is
> > that part of the java.library.path?  If not, where is the best place to
> > put them?  JRE\lib\ext\x86?
>
> Are you running Tomcat as a service? If so, the Windows %PATH% might not
> be applying. Can you try inspecting your Tomcat 5.5 configuration to see
> where those .dll files might be, or if the java.library.path is being
> specified somewhere?

The OP should be able to inspect the actually applied value with JMX (e.g.
(j)visualvm).

Rainer

Re: Trouble with jdbc drivers in TC 7

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Trouble with jdbc drivers in TC 7

Posted by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.

Re: Trouble with jdbc drivers in TC 7

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Trouble with jdbc drivers in TC 7

Posted by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.
>> From: David kerber [mailto:dckerber@verizon.net]
>> Subject: Re: Trouble with jdbc drivers in TC 7
>
>> Was something changed in 7 from previous versions wrt
>> database connections?
>
> Even if it had been changed, it shouldn't matter in your case, since you're handling your own connections.  This looks more like a classloader problem; is your webapp creating its own classloader?

No, I'm not doing anything with classloaders.  At least not
intentionally :-/

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.
>> From: David kerber [mailto:dckerber@verizon.net]
>> Subject: Trouble with jdbc drivers in TC 7
>
>> All my database pooling is done in the application, so I
>> thought putting the jodbc.jar in the WEB-INF/lib of the
>> app would work with no need to edit my configuration files
>
> I think that should work.  Check carefully that you don't have multiple copies of the driver jar lying around.  Extra copies beyond the one in the proper location can get you CNFE.
>
> Is there a possible permissions issue preventing the Tomcat account from accessing the jar?  (Less likely on Windows, but it can happen.)

No luck with either of those.  I checked for extra copies of jodbc.jar,
and gave full control permissions to everybody on the webapp folder and
subfolders.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.