Posted to dev@zipkin.apache.org by Adrian Cole <ad...@gmail.com> on 2019/05/16 07:59:55 UTC

Can we please rally to get out of the incubator?

This is addressed specifically to mentors.

Can one or more of you please help us get out of the incubator. I
think if we are honest, no one is going to want to release ten
projects with the additional votes required from unrelated people.
Currently, our votes don't matter and it is kindof frustrating to go
through measures and track multiple things.

Specifically, can someone please help identifying the boxes to tick
and help make sure these are ticked before folks like be get burned
out.

I don't think the incubator is designed for 10 repo projects, and we
certainly will have more experience than many after releasing even one
version per repo. We need to figure out how to get to a place of
autonomy, iotw.
-A

Re: Can we please rally to get out of the incubator?

Posted by Adrian Cole <ad...@gmail.com>.
thanks I really hope we can get out of this as soon as possible as it is
not a happy place. for example justin says we have issues in every release
which is plainly untrue or a huge stretch.

for example he took issue at 3 temporary files in the last release.

2 of them he took issue the last time and I immediately created a pull
request and notified him and corrected to best of my knowledge and he found
some nit that he could have mentioned in the pull request. even this was
mentioned in the release vote (and the prior!) as files that would be
deleted. the other file of issue had 2 license headers on it.. which was a
mistake but at the same time *also temporary* and incidentally written by a
committer.

I am upset as clearly he has a tool or approach that isnt worked into
Apache rat and by not fixing the tools he is making eggshells for us to
walk over. then taking cheap shots at completely minor issues just to say
that we have issues.

I really hate this and want out as soon as possible.

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

In my mind, the incubator process means the PPMC understand how to release, and what need to be checked.
Because project could accept new repository after graduation, new dependency could be added too.

From I recognized, zipkin project has already several PPMC members do the releases successfully in different repos.

Posted by Adrian Cole <ad...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
If we can cut the release once for this 10 repoes,  we don't need to
go through the voting process one by one.
Is it possible?

Willem Jiang

Twitter: willemjiang
Weibo: 姜宁willem