Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Kevin A. Smith" <Ke...@sas.com> on 2002/10/15 19:17:40 UTC

RE:[OT] Struts1.1 B2 BUG OR Weblogic 6.1 SP2 BUG??????????

I've experienced a very similar problem with WL (I can't remember the version number but I think it was in the 6.x series) on W2K and WinNT.

The short version is that not shutting down the WebLogic server cleanly causes this problem. The operating system socket resources are not being released. Even though the socket and port do not show up on a netstat, the OS thinks they are in use. The only workaround we had was to bounce the entire box. Not fun.

The longer version is that WebLogic rolled their own socket handling code using a combination of native code and Java. My theory is that they did this to get the benefits of select() before it was available in JDK 1.4 (java.nio.*). Something about a less than clean shutdown causes the native code to do bad things.

--Kevin