Posted to user@falcon.apache.org by Ajay Yadava <aj...@apache.org> on 2016/01/29 06:39:05 UTC

[Announce] Github integration live

Hello everyone,

Good news!! Github integration is complete and ready for use. As part of
this some more good stuff got done.

   1. A new tool to merge pull requests has been created. It *squashes
   commits*, *reformats the commit messages in standard format*, *adds
   reviewers, retains original contributor as author of the commit *etc.
   Usage guide has been made available on wiki
   <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FALCON/How+to+merge+pull+requests>
   .
   2. New merge tool also automates the closure of the relevant JIRA with
   fix version.
   3. A pre commit build has also been configured. No more testing patches
   on your local box.
   4. How to Contribute guide
   <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FALCON/How+To+Contribute> has
   been updated with several new sections for non code contributions and
   github pull request model.
   5. README file has been updated. It now parses markdown syntax(looks lot
   better in github now) and contains the link to how to contribute guide,
   change log etc.

*How it works?*
With the new integration in place, whenever a new pull request is created,
a pre commit build will be automatically triggered and result will be
displayed along with the "conflict status"(see attachment).

Also every time a pull request *which contains JIRA id* is created asf bot
puts these details in the corresponding JIRA. See FALCON-1770
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FALCON-1770> for an example.

To avoid noise on the mailing list we have disabled the emails whenever a
comment is made on the pull request. You should watch the repository and
use github notifications to see all updates.

*Key things to take care of for pull requests*:

   - Mention JIRA id in your pull request see this pr
   <https://github.com/apache/falcon/pull/13>for reference
   - Don't forget to update the CHANGES.txt
   - You *don't need* to squash commit messages, but please make meaningful
   commit messages for each update.

I will recommend all contributors to start using the new pull request
method so that they are reflected as the author of their contributions in
the github/git.

*[image: Screen Shot 2016-01-23 at 11.45.02 PM.png]*

Cheers
Ajay Yadava

Re: [Announce] Github integration live

Posted by Ajay Yadav <aj...@gmail.com>.
It becomes very noisy as you will get one email per comment. You don't have
to subscribe to each pull request, if you watch the repository then github
provides a dashboard for all unread notifications (bell icon).

Posted by Balu Vellanki Bala <bv...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Ajay and Team

Posted by Ajay Yadav <aj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ajay Yadav <aj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Balu Vellanki Bala <bv...@hortonworks.com>.
 Ajay and Team,

Posted by Ajay Yadav <aj...@gmail.com>.
Hello everyone,

Posted by Ajay Yadav <aj...@gmail.com>.
Hello everyone,

Posted by Ajay Yadav <aj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ajay Yadav <aj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pallavi Rao <pa...@inmobi.com>.
Thanks Ajay for enabling this! Simplifies the whole patch upload, review,
commit process.

Will start using right away :-).

On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 11:09 AM, Ajay Yadava <aj...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Good news!! Github integration is complete and ready for use. As part of
> this some more good stuff got done.
>
>    1. A new tool to merge pull requests has been created. It *squashes
>    commits*, *reformats the commit messages in standard format*, *adds
>    reviewers, retains original contributor as author of the commit *etc.
>    Usage guide has been made available on wiki
>    <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FALCON/How+to+merge+pull+requests>
>    .
>    2. New merge tool also automates the closure of the relevant JIRA with
>    fix version.
>    3. A pre commit build has also been configured. No more testing
>    patches on your local box.
>    4. How to Contribute guide
>    <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FALCON/How+To+Contribute> has
>    been updated with several new sections for non code contributions and
>    github pull request model.
>    5. README file has been updated. It now parses markdown syntax(looks
>    lot better in github now) and contains the link to how to contribute guide,
>    change log etc.
>
> *How it works?*
> With the new integration in place, whenever a new pull request is created,
> a pre commit build will be automatically triggered and result will be
> displayed along with the "conflict status"(see attachment).
>
> Also every time a pull request *which contains JIRA id* is created asf bot
> puts these details in the corresponding JIRA. See FALCON-1770
> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FALCON-1770> for an example.
>
> To avoid noise on the mailing list we have disabled the emails whenever a
> comment is made on the pull request. You should watch the repository and
> use github notifications to see all updates.
>
> *Key things to take care of for pull requests*:
>
>    - Mention JIRA id in your pull request see this pr
>    <https://github.com/apache/falcon/pull/13>for reference
>    - Don't forget to update the CHANGES.txt
>    - You *don't need* to squash commit messages, but please make
>    meaningful commit messages for each update.
>

> I will recommend all contributors to start using the new pull request
> method so that they are reflected as the author of their contributions in
> the github/git.
>
> *[image: Screen Shot 2016-01-23 at 11.45.02 PM.png]*
>
> Cheers
> Ajay Yadava

receipt.

Re: [Announce] Github integration live

Posted by Pallavi Rao <pa...@inmobi.com>.
Thanks Ajay for enabling this! Simplifies the whole patch upload, review,
commit process.

Will start using right away :-).

On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 11:09 AM, Ajay Yadava <aj...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Good news!! Github integration is complete and ready for use. As part of
> this some more good stuff got done.
>
>    1. A new tool to merge pull requests has been created. It *squashes
>    commits*, *reformats the commit messages in standard format*, *adds
>    reviewers, retains original contributor as author of the commit *etc.
>    Usage guide has been made available on wiki
>    <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FALCON/How+to+merge+pull+requests>
>    .
>    2. New merge tool also automates the closure of the relevant JIRA with
>    fix version.
>    3. A pre commit build has also been configured. No more testing
>    patches on your local box.
>    4. How to Contribute guide
>    <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FALCON/How+To+Contribute> has
>    been updated with several new sections for non code contributions and
>    github pull request model.
>    5. README file has been updated. It now parses markdown syntax(looks
>    lot better in github now) and contains the link to how to contribute guide,
>    change log etc.
>
> *How it works?*
> With the new integration in place, whenever a new pull request is created,
> a pre commit build will be automatically triggered and result will be
> displayed along with the "conflict status"(see attachment).
>
> Also every time a pull request *which contains JIRA id* is created asf bot
> puts these details in the corresponding JIRA. See FALCON-1770
> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FALCON-1770> for an example.
>
> To avoid noise on the mailing list we have disabled the emails whenever a
> comment is made on the pull request. You should watch the repository and
> use github notifications to see all updates.
>
> *Key things to take care of for pull requests*:
>
>    - Mention JIRA id in your pull request see this pr
>    <https://github.com/apache/falcon/pull/13>for reference
>    - Don't forget to update the CHANGES.txt
>    - You *don't need* to squash commit messages, but please make
>    meaningful commit messages for each update.
>

> I will recommend all contributors to start using the new pull request
> method so that they are reflected as the author of their contributions in
> the github/git.
>
> *[image: Screen Shot 2016-01-23 at 11.45.02 PM.png]*
>
> Cheers
> Ajay Yadava

receipt.

Fwd: [Announce] Github integration live