Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Xu Renjie <xr...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/22 05:09:51 UTC

OutOfMemory log in Cassandra

Hi, all
   I have a problem about the log. I have set the CASSANDRA_HEAPDUMP_DIR in
the cassandra-env.in file to some path to store the dump file
when OutOfMemory exception happens. But after out of memory happens(I judge
it from the /var/log/messages which says "kernel: out of memory:
kill process XXXX), there is no dump file generated in that path. Is this
because kernel kill the jvm first so no OutOfMemory exception thrown or
what? I am new to linux. Thanks in advance.

Re: OutOfMemory log in Cassandra

Posted by Xu Renjie <xr...@gmail.com>.
BTW, I have checked the jvm by jps that the options are correctly added.

Posted by aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.
> CASSANDRA_HEAPDUMP_DIR
Is for JVM out of memory. You were seeing the OS kill the JVM because of low os memory.

Cheers
Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton